Investments Data Strategy Leader
- Northbrook, IL
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Data Strategy team enables improved and timely decision making through the organization, standardization, governance, and delivery of accurate data. The team defines and prioritizes data activities with key organizational priorities, goals, and objectives in collaboration with the Investments leadership team. The Data Strategy team collaborates across the Investment organization, including Investment Operations, Technology, Finance, Risk, Portfolio Management, and Reporting to analyze data metrics and improve processes and controls; consolidate and simplify business structures; and deliver, create and disseminate analytics and other information and intelligence.
The Data Strategy Leader is a thought leader for data-driven approaches, enabling fast and accurate analysis and decision making. Extensive collaboration across the Investment organization and with Investment leadership is required. This leader brings a vision for strategic data programs and directs initiatives where effective data management is a critical success factor.
The Data Strategy Leader prioritizes data integration efforts with key organizational priorities, goals and objectives. In partnership with the Investment team, the Data Strategy Leader ensures that data is managed toward a long-term strategic vision.
The Data Strategy Leader develops performance guidelines for data accuracy and coordinates resources with Data Operations to establish performance objectives and oversee performance metrics that demonstrate the proper execution of critical data controls. This leader will also provide oversight and guidance in the development of a fast response team to prioritize and address data questions that arise throughout the Investment Department.
The Data Strategy Leader oversees continuous improvement projects, directs efforts to maintain organizational metadata, educates users on available data and its appropriate use, and collaborates with business leadership to evaluate new and changing data requirements.
- Be accountable to Allstate Investments senior leadership for overall direction and prioritization of strategic data related projects
- Assess the data needs and opportunities for Allstate Investments and provide strategic solutions to Allstate Investment senior leadership
- Influence change and establish a culture of data ownership and accountability
- Decision making authority that rationalizes requirements and designs to ensure that data solutions efficiently meet the needs of both financial and analytical reporting
- Coordinate project work between Data Operations, Integration, and Delivery to ensure project goals are achieved
- Be accountable to the Allstate Corporate Data Strategy team and ensure that solutions developed in Allstate Investments are consistent with methodologies that have been broadly accepted by the enterprise
- Guide development of a centralized Data Desk to provide level 1 and level 2 support to the Investment Department
- Guide development of data metrics to track and report on overall data integrity for critical data fields
- Provide thought leadership to IT resources responsible for supporting Data Operations and MIS ensuring the highest priority tasks are being addressed
- Establish and maintain standards for data structures ensuring that data redundancy is minimized
- Ensure that internal controls for proving data integrity are well executed when data is moved between systems / applications
Data Delivery and Reporting:
- Oversee and guide development of a Metadata repository to document appropriate domain values, lineage, and appropriate uses for all critical data components
- Develop policies and procedures for managing unstructured data
- Establish procedures for calculating the business value of data and its Return on Investment (ROI)
- Minimum 10 Years' experience working with Investment or Financial data
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science or Finance
- Completion or progress toward an MBA is a strong plus
- CPA or CFA designation is a strong plus
- Ability to translate complex technical challenges into plain English
- Foundational knowledge of relational databases and SQL
- Knowledge of multiple asset classes, including both public and private assets
- Understanding of Investment performance management processes, data, and technology
- A strong, independent leader with proven people management experience
- Successful experience in building relationships and collaborating with various levels of management
- Strategic thinker, who also demonstrates an understanding of the underlying complexities of certain areas
- Executive presence, poise, and confidence
- Strong analytical, logical, and creative skills
- Deals effectively with ambiguity and change, and adapts appropriately to a range of situations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the "EEO is the Law" poster click "here". This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click "here". This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company's policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee's ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.
Back to top