Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Job Family Summary
The Investments and Business Transactions Attorney job family provides legal advice and counsel with respect to (1) business transactions and agreements; (2) corporate technology, (3) corporate finance, banking, and treasury matters, and (4) investment transactions for all assets classes and regulatory issues relating to investments and the investment advisers.
Job Family Specific Responsibilities:
Investments and Business Transactions Attorneys provide legal advice and counsel and oversee regulatory issues with respect to investments and business transactions, including:
- Investments and business transactions
- Identify and analyze legal, regulatory, governance, structuring, and similar issues, ensure business partners are appropriately informed of the issues, provide advice and recommendations with respect to the issues, and assist in the resolution of the issues
- Draft / review, negotiate and structure complex transaction and investment contracts and documents and review and resolve associated legal and regulatory issues
- (working with outside counsel or lender group counsel, as appropriate)
- Manage/Perform assigned tasks and assist in the coordination of work necessary to resolve legal, regulatory, governance, structuring, and similar issues in order to conclude investment and other business transactions and satisfy any post-closing conditions
- Coordinate robust issue spotting across all contractual and non-contractual legal issues involved in transactions and that management is appropriately advised on issues either directly or through collaboration with other areas of L&R
- Review and approve wire/funding documents, as required
- Ensure business partners are advised on processes and procedures to implement contractual provisions
- Manage/Perform work relating to transaction implementation, contract interpretation issues and disputes, work-outs, and litigation strategy in defaulted transactions
- Corporate finance, banking, and treasury matters
- Investment compliance with internal guidelines, policies and applicable state, federal, and international laws
- The investment advisers (registered under the Investment Advisor Act of 1940 and unregistered advisor
- Supervisory/People Management
- Legal Advice and Counseling
- Drafting and Negotiation
- Business Knowledge and Acumen
- Project Management
- Management of Outside Counsel
- Core Competencies
- Intermediate skills/abilities/experiences in the following areas: legal knowledge, business knowledge, issue management, analytical skills, influencing others, coaching and development, self development, and productivity
- Other Requisites
- Possesses a juris doctorate and an license to practice law in Illinois (and/or other states as required)
- 5+ years related experience
- Computer skills, including MS Office suite, used in or related to the tasks performed
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity
- Has relevant experience within a reputable law firm or an in-house legal department for a mid- to large-sized organization
- Insurance-industry experience preferred
- Knowledge of legal holds and discovery processes
- Management & Supervisory Skills
Possesses J.D. degree and basic legal and business knowledge. Performs basic legal and factual research and
investigation to formulate a legal opinion, identify risks and propose alternative courses of action. As skills develop,
this attorney should be able to perform routine legal work using established procedures. Able to communicate views
effectively orally and in writing and represent position to others internally and externally. Provides assistance to other
attorneys on major projects and assignments. Works with managerial guidance and oversight. This position is for an attorney with 5 years experience in investment or transactional work. This position builds professional experience while learning the practical aspects of applied law, as
well as learning the functions of the business.
Qualifications – External
Admitted to the bar, 5 years working experience.
Experience in the investments or business transaction.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top