Intellectual Property Manager
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Allstate Patent Team provides advice and counsel regarding how to best protect Allstate innovation and is responsible for patent prosecution, litigation, counseling, enforcement, and advising on transactional matters. The team interacts with outside entities, external counsel, and clients across the organization to capture, protect and utilize patents in support of Allstate’s business strategies. The team counsels on patent issues including integrating patent considerations into business plans, enterprise patent risk avoidance and mitigation strategies, and strategies for enhancing the scope and strength of our patents portfolio.
The Intellectual Property Manager is part of this small, agile team and will lead the development and management of patent assets to ensure that Allstate develops and maintains a robust, relevant patent portfolio.
This position will handle a variety of responsibilities primarily focused on patent prosecution activities. Key activities will include:
- Leading patent development and prosecution in key business focus areas.
- Meeting with management and business personnel to understand how patents can support their business goals and strategy.
- Making recommendations on and implementing prosecution strategies and tactics.
- Identifying patentable inventions and managing the development of invention disclosures.
- Facilitating invention harvesting sessions to build-out future inventions.
- Providing guidance on patent family strategies including continuations, office action responses and international filings.
- Working with outside counsel on the preparation, filing and prosecution of domestic and international patent applications.
- Collaborating with business clients and attorneys to advise on patent issues, company policies and procedures, and patent strategy.
- Enthusiastically advocating for patent protection in alignment with Allstate’s patent strategy, business strategies, and focus on the customer.
- Building and maintaining positive and effective client and peer relationships including with the business, within the Patent Team, and with other practice groups in the Department of Law and Regulation.
- Bachelor’s degree; J.D. optional.
- 2 – 5 years of relevant experience.
- Experience with patent matters including prosecution responsibilities.
- Insurance, technology, or financial services experience preferred.
- Business acumen and consulting skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment. Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to bridge the gap between business, legal, and technology.
- Strong interpersonal and advocacy skills; advanced written and oral communication and strong customer service skills; intermediate to advanced facilitation and presentation skills.
- Remote candidates considered
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top