Hadoop Data Business Analyst
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Business Analyst applies knowledge and facilitative expertise to gather and define requirements, in order to achieve business objectives and provide innovative solutions to business problems. This position is expected to work as a Data Business Analyst, which would have knowledge / be able to perform enterprise and project-level information analysis support that produces consistent, accurate, and complete information requirements that enhances the analytic and reporting lifecycle throughout the enterprise. In support of the analytic and reporting lifecycle, this position will create / support data definitions that follow established standards and guidelines, develop and manage the logical and physical views of data that are consistent with the business objectives, and provide consulting on new developments within the business intelligence space.
The Business Analyst (BA) Sr Consultant II participates in the analysis and design efforts for complex projects and business processes; Establishes a common understanding of the business environment in which a complex project or solution must be defined, designed, created, deployed, used, and supported. The Information Analyst Sr Consultant II provides a high level of expertise in a focused area of the business. The incumbent is expected to work independently on projects of all degrees of complexity, supporting multiple business units across a business AoR to advance their use of data and analytics. Through independent analysis and guided design, the incumbent defines, develops and implements data and business intelligence solutions for their assigned business AoR.
- Provides expertise for multiple areas of the business through analysis and understanding of business needs; applies a broad knowledge of programs, policies, and procedures in a business area or technical field
- Provides business knowledge and support for resolving technology issues across multiple areas of the business
- Uses appropriate tools and techniques to elicit and define requirements that address more complex business processes or projects of moderate to high complexity. Analyzes and translates business, data, functional, and user requirements and/or business rules into analytic and reporting requirements, data models and metadata deliverables by leading and guiding discussions internally with the project team and externally with business and technology partners
- Analyzes requirements and create or contribute to functional designs, leveraging more advanced technical skills; Assist with design application prototypes
- Constructs and executes complex SQL queries and review data profiling results to discover semantics, patterns and value domains of data under analysis
- Performs complex data analysis utilizing multiple techniques to determine, document and communicate existing and potential future data relationships, profiles and quality levels; uncover anomalies and variances in data content from expected results
- Assists with project initiation or planning for projects of moderate complexity. Plans, develops and leads information gathering sessions.
- Consults on the functional test plans and conditions for assigned applications or projects of moderate complexity; ensure that the test plans cover the testing of all defined functional requirements; supports data analysis and validation from functional tests
- Participates in design reviews, application design impacts between concurrent releases, and technical walk-throughs
- Updates and maintains all logical (conceptual, relational, subject-level and dimensional) data models and other metadata deliverables at multiple levels of detail and functionality for a specific business subject area
- Plans, develops and facilitates inspection sessions to validate that modeled data and related metadata deliverables match and satisfy business data requirements
- Conducts reviews of physical data model and related technical detail with database administrators and technical developers as part of a single project's development life cycle
- Provides informal training to Band B and Band C1 members on the team. Understands, applies, teaches others and drive improvements in the use of corporate metadata development tools and processes
- Executes change control process to manage changes to base lined deliverables and scope for projects of moderate to high complexity
- Develops and keeps current an approach to data management across multiple business AoRs
- Applies knowledge of tools and processes to drive data management for a business AoR
- Creates complex technical requirements through analyzing business and functional requirements
Qualifications / Experience
- Education: College degree or equivalent experience; Post secondary degree in management / technology or related field or a combination of related experience and education a plus; 5+ years working in insurance, project management, and/or technology preferred
- Experienced in writing technical requirements
- Prior experience in database modeling classes, MIS or EIS, system support, analytics, statistics
- Data warehousing, Business Intelligence knowledge a must; data analytics a plus
- Hands-on SQL and DB querying exposure preferred
- Data Profiling a plus
- Exposure to Hadoop Eco-system a big plus
- Extensive experience working with project team following an agile scrum a must; exposure / experience to Waterfall software development lifecycle a plus.
- Advanced insurance industry / business knowledge
- Proven ability to be flexible and work hard, both independently and in a team environment with changing priorities
- Willingness to work outside of normal business hours
- Excellent English oral / written communication skills
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top