Expert Sr. Cloud Platform Engineer - Chicago, IL
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate is looking for top Cloud Platform Engineers within ATSV Infrastructure Services. Within IS, the cloud platform engineers are responsible and accounting for the engineering and operation of the Allstate Cloud Platform which is comprised of multiple cloud environments, distributed systems management systems, and application continuous delivery tools and pipeline.
The Cloud Platform Engineer is a full stack engineer who builds the cloud environments and hosting platforms for Allstate. This role will have the primary accountability of owning, developing, implementing and operating Allstate's Cloud platforms. This role will also encompass developing, building, administering, and deploying self-service tools that enable Allstate developers to build, deploy and operate cloud native applications.
- Oversees and develops the various cloud platform environments and aligning them with business strategies and requirements
- Architecting cloud solutions for massive scale, resiliency and maintainability.
- Designing architecture with various cloud providers that meets technical, security, and business needs for applications and workloads.
- Champions the engineering practices and helping teams define and setup frameworks for infrastructure as code and automation
- Establishes the strategy and manages complex technical designs in engineering and operating cloud platform infrastructure
- Oversees and develops the strategy and manages complex designs for the continuous delivery framework and tools, and acting as a subject matter expert on infrastructure CI/CD pipelines
- Contribute to technology strategy and engineering roadmaps around cloud platforms; executes strategic engineering proof of concepts around cloud platforms
- Defines and develops new products and services that provides functions- "as-a-service"
- Develops a strategy for application and infrastructure monitoring for platforms and applications aligning with enterprise strategy and overall industry trends
- Owns, manages and maintains the high availability design, engineering, and operations of Allstate's cloud platforms
- Champions for the appropriate use of open source and commercial technology based upon industry trends and innovative concepts
- Four year degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related area, or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years of application development or infrastructure engineering experience
- Able to mentor different teams across the various engineering practices including extreme programming, product mindset, cloud/as-a-service approach, and infrastructure as code
- Hands-on style - willingness and competence in producing necessary changes in our infrastructure and processes
- Will be working primarily in an Extreme Programming environment and must be willing to work in a paired programming/engineering model
- Able to facilitate diverse teams, multi-task, and work under pressure to meet aggressive schedule targets
- Able to work effectively across organizational and geographical boundaries
- Identify creative solutions for technical challenges
- Able to communicate effectively across groups of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to communicate and present ideas and solutions
- Demonstrable experience designing and implementing complex applications and distributed systems into public cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc…)
- Solid understanding of security and compliance frameworks, standards and implementation in public cloud environments; relevant experience in vulnerability management and security operations in public cloud
- Experience and solid understanding of networking concepts and services like DirectConnect, VPN, IPsec, PKI, TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, SMTP, LDAP, etc…
- Experience in using DSLs/frameworks for managing infrastructure as code like (or similar to) CloudFormation, Terraform, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc…
- Experience in infrastructure programming using languages like Python, Ruby, Go
- Hands on experience using continuous integration/delivery tools like (or similar to) git, Jenkins,
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top