Encompass- Junior Application Developer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Encompass is a growing, $1B+ business that is part of the Allstate Corporation. Encompass sells and services personal insurance products exclusively through independent agencies. It has never been more exciting at Encompass than it is today. With Encompass' growth and exciting opportunities, the Encompass Technology Organization is also growing.
The Encompass Technology Organization supports and develops technology solutions for the Encompass Brand of insurance products within the Allstate Insurance Company. The Encompass Technology Organization celebrates strategic thinking and leadership, creative problems solving, full engagement, and working together to serve our agents and policyholders, particular in their times of greatest need. Our fast-paced environment embraces innovative thinking, continuous learning, and collaboration. We are a high-performance organization that believes in celebrating our employees' efforts with a pay-for-performance approach, a competitive compensation package as well as opportunities for personal and professional growth. At Encompass, we understand that when our employees are at their best, so are we. That's why we offer a variety of development and well-being programs to encourage and empower our employees. We are committed to helping each employee work and live to his or her full potential.
As part of the growth of the Encompass Technology Organization and to maintain our place at the forefront of the technological landscape, Encompass needs to hire the best and the brightest talent – is that you?
This position is open for 3 Junior level Application Developers to work out of our Irving, TX office. The ideal candidate will have 1-3 years of experience (including internships) with application development. Experience with python highly desired!
The Application Developer will design and implement changes to support the Encompass business.
The Application Developer is involved in the entire systems development lifecycle: documenting design for new features and defect resolution, developing code, participating in code reviews, preparing for and participating in testing and releasing software to production.
All application changes are made using the Tenfold Universal Application platform – a framework of rapid-development tools you use to describe the data model, define business rules and business logic, tune and maintain performance, and fully customize the application.
- Review and understand detailed business, functional, and high-level technical requirements including technical recovery, security and audit.
- Reviews design materials and participate in design reviews to ensure designs meet requirements for proposed solutions
- Participates in creating simple design documents that support interface and technical design and meet solution requirements
- Provides/confirms detailed estimates for assigned work units and provide communications for deviations from estimates; proactively works with project managers to ensure appropriate time is allocated to assigned tasks
- Generates and codes work units for simple to intermediate changes, enhancements, and modules according to specifications and standards
- Accurately documents design and code fixes for all created code to memorialize fixes and dependencies according to established standards
- Prepares accurate data for test plan and modules; participate in testing reviews to identify possible issues
- Tracks and resolves simple to intermediate defects
- Assists in production support activities by determining the nature, impact, and extent of the problem
- Assists with change management activities supporting production deployment to Developers, Quality Control Analysts, and Environment Management personnel
- Creates and executes unit tests
Associates/Bachelors' degree in Computer Science, MIS, Math, or equivalent work experience
- 1-3 years of application development experience.
- Basic competency in programming or data management software
- Basic understanding and commitment to quality-oriented, SDLC methodology
- Basic understanding of database concepts (tables, columns, data relationships)
- Basic experience with Phyton programming language
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills
- An interest in becoming an expert in creating and maintaining Policy Management Enterprise software
Nice to have:
- TenFold Universal Application experience
- Rapid development methodology and 4GL tools experience (Oracle Forms, Oracle Apex, Progress 4GL, Informix 4GL)
- Familiarity with IDE's such as Eclipse, Rational Application Developer
- Experience with unit testing software (JUnit, Selenium, etc...)
- Knowledge in the Personal Lines Insurance industry
- Knowledge of interface security including SFTP, FTP, SSL using putty or other utilities
- Knowledge of XML parsing, querying and validation
- Knowledge of Unix and Korn/shell Scripting
- Relational database experience, SQL, PL/SQL
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top