Encompass - Application Developer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Encompass is a growing, $1B+ business that is part of the Allstate Corporation. Encompass sells and services personal insurance products exclusively through independent agencies.
The Encompass Technology Organization supports and develops technology solutions for the Encompass Brand of insurance products within the Allstate Insurance Company. The Encompass Technology Organization celebrates strategic thinking and leadership, creative problems solving, full engagement, and working together to serve our agents and policyholders, particular in their times of greatest need. Our fast-paced environment embraces innovative thinking, continuous learning, and collaboration. We are a high-performance organization that believes in celebrating our employees' efforts with a pay-for-performance approach, a competitive compensation package as well as opportunities for personal and professional growth. At Encompass, we understand that when our employees are at their best, so are we. That's why we offer a variety of development and well-being programs to encourage and empower our employees. We are committed to helping each employee work and live to his or her full potential.
This position is open for 3 Mid level Application Developers to work out of our Irving, TX office. The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of experience with application development. Experience with Python and Tenfold Universal Application highly desired!
- The Application Developer will design and implement changes to support the Encompass business.
- The Application Developer is involved in the entire systems development lifecycle: documenting design for new features and defect resolution, developing code, participating in code reviews, preparing for and participating in testing and releasing software to production.
- All application changes are made using the Tenfold Universal Application platform – a framework of rapid-development tools you use to describe the data model, define business rules and business logic, tune and maintain performance, and fully customize the application.
- The applicant should have a working knowledge the systems development lifecycle, understanding of relational databases, a working knowledge of SQL and Oracle (or other RDBMS), and 3-5 years' experience in developing working enterprise applications.
- Evaluates detailed business, functional, and high-level technical requirements (includingrecovery,security, and audit)
- Designs detailed technical components with high-level architecture
- Recognizes and understands use of design patterns for intermediate applications
- Applies usability and future state architectures to develop technical components according to design specifications.
- Participates and provides feedback in design reviews
- Develops or confirms detailed project or system change estimates or project plans; calibrates estimating factors for continuous improvements
- Develops code for intermediate modules, following documentation and development standards
- Creates enhanced technical documentation and implement changes
- Acts as a technical expert for Band B application developers
- Conducts timely structured code reviews to ensure standards and systems interoperability
- Reviews and critiques team members' code
- Creates accurate test plans, conditions, and data; participate in testing reviews
- Conducts basic levels of module and integration testing according to process standards; tracks and resolves moderate defects
- Assists Quality Control personnel with functional tests
- Identifies support issues and initiate action to resolve the problem
- Provides technical assistance to resolve moderate to complex issues
- Executes change management activities supporting production deployment to Developers, Quality Control Analysts, and Environment Management personnel
- Completes and delivers migration or change management form to above parties
- Creates and executes unit tests
Associates/Bachelors/Master's degree in Accounting, MIS, Math, Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 3 -5 years application development experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to translate business requirements into technical requirements
- Understanding of basic database concepts (tables, columns, data relationships)
- Understanding and commitment to quality-oriented, SDLC methodology
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent ability to work independently and create useful collateral documentation
- Desire to learn multiple technologies that are necessary to support a Fortune 500 insurance company
Nice to Have:
- TenFold Universal Application experience
- Knowledge/Experience with Python
- Rapid development methodology and 4GL tools experience (Oracle Forms, Apex, Progress 4GL, Informix 4GL
- Familiarity with IDE's such as Eclipse, Rational Application Developer
- Experience with unit testing software (JUnit, Selenium, etc…)
- Knowledge of Personal Lines Insurance industry
- Knowledge of interface security including SFTP, FTP, SSL using putty or other utilities
- Knowledge of XML parsing, querying and validation
- Knowledge of Unix and Korn/shell scripting
- Competency in programming or data management software
- Experience using technology to improve business operations and profitability
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top