Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Attorney
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate's Employment and Benefits Legal team is looking for a motivated, dynamic, business-oriented compensation and benefits attorney to join Allstate's legal department.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Advise on a wide variety of compensation and benefits matters, including issues related to equity plans, incentive plans, including sales incentive plans, retirement plans, fringe benefit plans, health and welfare benefit plans, and other benefit plans and programs
- Assist the company in complying with federal and state laws impacting employee compensation and benefits, including executive compensation and tax and ERISA requirements applicable to both retirement and welfare benefit plans
- Draft and review plan documents and employee communications
- Review and evaluate vendor contracts for services related to benefit plans (e.g., outside vendors who manage equity grants, investment advisors for retirement plan investments, third party administrator contracts for handling retirement and welfare benefit plans and contracts for audits of retirement plans)
- Monitor new legislation and regulatory changes impacting employee compensation and benefits and developments and trends related to shareholder concerns with compensation practices (such as are expressed by Institutional Shareholder Services, Inc. and others)
- Assist with executive compensation matters and compensation and benefit plan disclosure items, including review of S-8, 10-K and11-K filings and compensation related material in annual proxy (e.g., the Compensation Discussion and Analysis)Advise on employment tax issues related to compensation and benefits plans
- Review and advise on annual required disclosures for employee benefit plans - retirement and welfare benefit plans - including tax filings and ERISA required disclosures
- Provide M&A support, including diligence and integration, for domestic transactions
- J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school and be an active member in good standing of the Bar
- 10+ years experience as an employee benefits and executive compensation attorney with a law firm or large publicly traded corporation
- Extensive experience and technical knowledge in the following areas:
- Broad-based equity programs in the U.S.
- Broad-based compensation programs, including sales incentive plans, in the U.S.
- Qualified and non-qualified retirement plans (e.g., 401(k) plans, deferred compensation plans, fringe benefit and health and welfare plans, programs and arrangements, including associated ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA and federal tax compliance)
- Reporting requirements for benefit plans and executive compensation (tax, Department of Labor and SEC)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to translate complex legal issues into layperson's terms and draft employee-facing communications
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels of the company
- Excellent project management, leadership and partnering skills required, including the ability to work collaboratively with teams to creatively solve problems while adhering to the company's values, policies and procedures
- Strong organizational skills and ability to operate and thrive in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities with tight deadlines
- Sound judgment, ethics and integrity, business acumen, and decision making capability in dealing with complex legal issues on a global basis
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and effectively with a wide range of business partners and see projects through to completion
- Willingness and ability to learn new areas of law, domestically and internationally
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top