Director, User Experience
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The User Experience (UX) team is a human-centered, multi-disciplinary service team that designs and creates user interactions and experiences with devices, systems and services to provide positive, engaging and useful experiences. User Experience (UX) is responsible for working collaboratively across technology, research, design and the business to apply knowledge of user-centered design methods, human-computer interaction and industry best practices to drive useful and usable interface design solutions that drive measurable results.
The UX Director leads a global team of UX Architects and Product Designers involved in the design, development, and implementation of large-scale experience design projects and programs. This individual will provide thought leadership and human-centered experience design expertise to create useful and usable experience solutions that drive measurable results. Leading, motivating, and developing the team are also responsibilities in this role. The UX Director is a primary connector between technology, design and other parts of the enterprise, often collaborating with and presenting to senior leaders.
The role of the UX Director will lead a team of UX practitioners and managers, setting the strategic direction for the team in support of business objectives. They will ensure the structures and processes needed to effectively deliver the team's mission are in place and will maintain a work environment that enables the team to grow, thrive and create great experiences. They are accountable for advancing consumer focus within the enterprise, delivering business results, driving a culture of measurement and human-centered design thinking.
- Lead a team of UX practitioners and managers, setting the strategic direction, creating/evolving experience systems, and focusing on the performance and development of the team.
- Act as an experience design thought-leader. Responsible for guiding the development and implementation of experience strategy, including high-level planning of work and resources.
- Model continuous learning mindset and teach new skills/capabilities by monitoring consumer trends, attending workshops, joining professional groups and mentoring others in UX methodologies.
- Communicate strategy to the team so they understand their roles, are motivated and have line of sight between their work and Allstate strategies.
- Foster innovation. Create structures and processes that promote an environment of innovation and experimentation for direct reports, peer groups, leaders and the organization.
- Leverage external industry relationships to improve the Enterprise. Serve as a representative of Allstate in the industry when necessary.
Key Responsibilities Continued
- Foster an environment where the team uses human-centered design thinking methods and continuous improvement to iterate through concepts that can be tested and validated with users.
- Lead design discussions and workshops with key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with business partners, UXD practitioners, and technologists to map and visualize ideas with customer journey maps, wireframes, user flow diagrams, prototypes, and other interactive designs
- Drive collaboration and co-creation across multiple business areas to deliver experience concepts that are desirable to the customer, feasible for the organization, and viable for the business.
- Utilize human-centered design thinking methods to design and envision future experiences iteratively in a dynamic environment.
- Drive synthesis and insight generation, with an emphasis on collaboration and group facilitation
- Bachelor's degree or higher in design, computer science, information sciences, psychology, human factors and or HCI preferred.
- 15+ years of relevant experience in UX Design, UX Architecture, Product Management and/or Product Design in highly collaborative environments, designing full-service consumer or business applications
- 7+ years of leadership experience; including leading leaders; should include accountability for all aspects of leading a team including people processes, client/partner relationships, work processes and delivery
- Demonstrated focus on metrics, fact-based decision and continuous improvement
- Enterprise experience, particularly within complex business models a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to empathize with end-users and understand how their needs impact key decisions.
Job Qualifications Continued
- Deep experience with design systems, design thinking, and Web development frameworks desired.
- Excellent communication skills including storytelling, writing and presentation.
- Proficient in Sketch, Invision , Axure, Adobe Creative Suite or other design tools.
- Strong work ethic with an inherent sense of ownership and responsibility.
- Proven ability to effectively across organizations with a warm, engaging style.
- Agile mindset, comfortable operating in an evolving environment.
This position will be primarily located at our Merchandise Mart location in Chicago, Illinois.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the "EEO is the Law" poster click "here". This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click "here". This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company's policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee's ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.
Back to top