Direct Claims, Lead Consultant
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate Insurance Company has an exceptional career opportunity for a Direct Claims Lead Consultant- Financial Shared Services in Northbrook, IL!
The Direct Claims Lead Consultant will perform Claim Department activities involving a wide range of diverse work in multiple claim areas, including primary environmental, lead, asbestos bodily injury, excess environmental and mass tort, worker’s compensation, and involuntary reinsurance. Responsible for interpreting, analyzing, evaluating, reporting and managing (including coverage analysis, investigation, case evaluation, reserving, negotiation, and settlement, and reporting) highest level of complex claims that alleges bodily injury and property damage relative to environmental, asbestos, toxic, and other mass tort/long-tail liability claims; Workers Compensation; and traditional claims as well as other types of claims handled by Direct Claims. To assist with or take charge of the resolution of the highest level of complex claim matters, and to perform claim department activities as they relate to most difficult or complex accounts.
- Evaluate complex claims to determine potential liability, formulate resolution plans and proposals and establish initial and/or additional reserves within assigned authority level and excess of authority levels with management approval. Claims involve significant exposure and complex issues (including Declaratory Judgments)
- Reviews applicable policy language and determines coverage based upon the facts of the claim, policy language and relevant case law.
- Strong development and organization of case data, liability and exposure issues and develops cohesive litigation/settlement strategy.
- Performs an independent analysis of counsels recommendations and challenges counsel’s proposed strategy, if appropriate
- Work with management and counsel in overall direction and resolution of litigation and manage litigation costs
- Stays current on case law and significant developments in the insurance industry and applies such knowledge to the day to day claims handling.
- Handle / manage disputes and negotiations, for litigated and non-litigated complex issues with the ability to negotiate complex matters with very little, if at all, management involvement
- Manages activities of vendors including attorneys and consultants
- Report regularly to reinsurers and assist with reinsurance collections, including answering inquiries
- Conduct claim audits for exhaustion and compliance with guidelines and prepare results reports
- Provide written and verbal reports to management
- Serves on cross functional project teams and leads/assists with departmental training programs as needed
- Assist with the development of co-workers concerning the claim investigation, conducting claim audits, applicability of policy language and determining coverage based upon the facts of the claim, policy language and relevant case law understanding and evaluation of complex claims to determine potential liability, and formulate resolution plans and proposals.
- Travel required (5%-20%)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 7 + years related experience handling highly complex claims under primary and excess coverage
- Strong commercial claim experience involving asbestos, environmental, and/or other mass tort and latent exposures. In addition to a strong understanding of CGL, umbrella and excess policies
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office: Intermediate – Excel, Word, Outlook. Basic-PowerPoint
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with others at all organizational levels as well as outside counsel and other parties
- Strong organizational and project management skills in order to handle multiple concurrent assignments in a timely manner
- Strong problem solving / analytical skills and decision making skills with the ability to interpret and making recommendations concerning claims, litigation and procedures with sufficient creativity/initiative to produce solutions.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Strong knowledge and ongoing learning of applicable statutes and case law
- Strong level of negotiation experience
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top