Digital Forensics Incident Responder
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
We are seeking an experienced DFIR candidate to perform intelligence-driven network defense supporting the Security Operations Center capabilities (Threat Intelligence, Threat Hunting, and Incident Monitoring/Response/Handling, et al.) The role involves forensic analysis of online and offline ("dead-box") hosts and network logs associated with information security incidents discovered by the Threat Hunting and Monitoring capabilities. The role is supported by large amounts of data from vendor SaaS tools and internal sources, including various indicator feeds, SIEM, several threat intelligence tools, etc. in order to assist the role in contributing a near-complete technical understanding of information security incidents. The candidate will perform the functions of a digital forensics examiner and collaborate with other teams on-site in the Security Operations Center.
- Identify key data points regarding information security incidents, such as root-cause (vulnerability, delivery, and exploitation), attack methods and techniques, malware infection and persistence methods, etc.
- Engage with Threat Intel/Hunting to learn and contribute to threat profiles and indicators of attack/compromise.
- Enhancing the workflow by redesigning process and approach to operationalize the sharing and utilization of actionable intelligence and indicators.
- Assist Threat Intel/Hunting in identifying and profiling threat actors and TTPs.
- Reverse engineer malware.
- Perform disk and memory analysis
- Custom tool design to assist in analysis and investigation. (Related experience in programming, database, system administration, etc.)
- Implementing integration/orchestration of existing and new forensic infrastructure and tools.
- Perform custom analysis on (centralized) security event information to analyze incidents.
- Collaborate with Engineering on the development of detection signatures and correlation use cases when appropriate.
- Perform as an Information Security SME in the following areas:
o Digital Forensics
o Incident Response
o Log analysis
o Popular operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, etc.)
o Networking (firewalls, IDS/IPS, packet capture)
o …and others.
- Providing mentorship and support to teammates and colleagues with regard to incident analysis.
- Bachelors and/or Masters Degree in Engineering, Computers Science, or related field
- 5+ years overall technical experience in either DFIR, threat intelligence, incident response, security operations, or related technical information security field.
- Deep understanding of common network and application stack protocols, including but not limited to TCP/IP, SMTP, DNS, TLS, XML, HTTP, etc.
- Strong and recent experience with malware analysis and reverse engineering.
- Strong experience with popular OS architectures (e.g. Russinovich's Windows Internals, Linux kernel architecture, etc.)
- Experience with security operations tools, including but not limited to:
o Threat Intelligence Platforms
o Link/relationship analysis (e.g. Maltego, IBM i2 Analyst Notebook)
o Signature development/management (e.g. Snort rules, Yara rules)
- Broad experience with various common security infrastructure tools (NIDS, HIPS, EDR, etc.)
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, a passion for research and puzzle-solving.
- Expert understanding of large, complex corporate network environments.
- Strong communication (oral, written, presentation), interpersonal and consultative skills, especially in regard to white papers, briefs, and presentations.
- Good organization and documentation skills
- Leadership and mentorship skills
Desirable Criteria – This may be used where we have a high number of applicants
- 5+ years experience in application design/engineering/maintenance, including but not limited to programming/scripting, Windows/Mac/Linux system administration, RDBMS/NoSQL database administration, etc.
- 2+ years experience in penetration testing, ethical hacking, exploit writing, and vulnerability management
- Hobbyist experience in "maker"/hardware hacking, e.g. Raspberry Pi, Arduino, etc.
- Experience with incident response workflow (or other case management "ticketing") tools such as RSA Archer, ServiceNow, Remedy, JIRA, Resilient, Best Practical Request Tracker, etc.
- Obtained certifications in several of the following: SANS GIAC courses, CEH, CISSP, OSCP, or tool-specific certifications like EnCE, etc.
- Scripting experience related to system administration, security operations, or forensics platforms (Python, Bash, Powershell, Perl, C/C++, EnScript)
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top