Data Strategy Portfolio - Lead Consultant
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Data Discovery and Decision Science (D3) is the research, analytics, and data strategy organization at Allstate. We are solving some of today's most complicated analytics problems, making the lives of our of Allstate colleagues easier and more productive, and driving our mission to deliver perfect insurance solutions to our customers. We are avid about learning new ways to get the most value from our massive data resources. As a Data Strategy Portfolio - Lead Consultant in D3 you will get 10% of your time to innovate, learn, collaborate, and teach. We are partnering to incorporate analytics into every aspect of the enterprise. Developing ourselves and others is key to our success.
The D3 team is looking for a talented, strategic Data Strategy Portfolio - Lead Consultant to help implement Allstate's Data Management strategy and create new data capabilities that are integral to the next generation of products across an enterprise. In this role you will partner extensively with our Enterprise Data Portfolio/Domain Owners, technology, and the business to enable depth and usability of data and support the conceptualization and development of innovative software products, as part of an agile team, to deliver product visions from inception to implementation to product support. You will analyze data issues, work with stakeholders to gather product requirements, help develop roadmaps, procedures, and estimates, and manage projects. This role builds out data for Data Science, Business Intelligence, Real-Time, and Batch consumer personas, with over half of the work focused on the Data Science community.
- Proactively drives and supports the management of enterprise data to ensure consistency, accuracy, availability, and accessibility
- Influence the strategy and vision for data product capabilities within the domain(s) and supports execution.
- Facilitate and lead decision-making processes amongst diverse stakeholders. Uses influence and negotiation to convince internal or external contacts of project decisions
- Engages with internal stakeholders, customers, and the broader community to break down visions into an actionable backlog of user stories for engineering teams.
- Ability to translate technical requirements and deliverables into business capabilities and to proactively communicate risks, issues and status to leadership and key stakeholders at multiple levels
- Storytelling and storyline development skills to effectively communicate using visual, verbal and written mediums
- Work across domains to prioritize, plan, and support the delivery of software products that meet customer requirements using an agile-development approach and fast-paced environment.
- Identify and understand connection points and consumer personas across the portfolio to drive assessment of sequence and dependencies.
- Help identify product scopes, requirements, and backlog priorities within the department and across supporting business units. Help reshuffle pieces of the roadmap as needed.
- Drives problem solving and issue resolution to ensure task completion by establishing priorities and resolving conflicts.
- Execute day-to-day delivery of data software product capabilities.
- Collaborate with Waterfall, SCRUM & XP teams & products.
- Bachelor's degree required
- A passion for and proven experience with data in insurance domains, policy, pricing, claims, etc. preferred.
- 3-5 years of related data experience; minimum of 3 years of software product development experience.
- Data experience examples: Data Warehousing, Master Data Management, External and Internal data sourcing, GIS, Data Governance
- Software Product Development examples: User Stories, Backlog Management, Continuous Integration, User Experience Design, Web services, Cloud Platform, Mongo, HADOOP, ETL, Full Stack Development
- Quantitative analytical skills (Excel skills required. SQL, Tableau, and Access skills preferred)
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of complex data into meaningful conclusions and recommendations
- Project management skills - Ability to design and lead dynamic projects that are complex and/or critically important
- Strong technical and business acumen and experience working in an agile methodology
- Ability to develop, analyze and interpret concepts; ability to solve problems creatively
- Demonstrated clear, concise and effective oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences including presentations and training.
- Strong collaborative skills to lead and work across boundaries to implement decisions and initiatives in a business aligned way.
- Advanced ability to manage multiple priorities given aggressive timelines; comfortable performing in a fast paced, dynamic and ambiguous business environment; manage both internal and external resources
- Enthusiastic and skilled mentor.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top