Data Science Senior Expert- Natural Language Processing
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Quantitative Research and Analytics Research job family is accountable for serving as a subject matter expert in the discipline of focus and leading or supporting the application of knowledge and techniques to impact business goals. This job family is responsible for teaching and consulting in their discipline across a broad audience and for driving adoption of related principles to innovate and improve the work done across the department and enterprise.
The Data Science Senior Expert- Natural Language Processing is an internal consultant and strategist, responsible for application of both behavioral and technical/data science techniques to impact business results and decision making. The ideal candidate is experienced in both machine learning and natural language processing and can act as a leader to help us develop and execute on an NLP strategy and advance the team's data science / machine learning projects. This role is accountable for leading opportunity identification along with both research and project based prioritization. The ideal candidate will proactively research and influence the implementation of new skillsets, tools and techniques to improve effectiveness and performance in the department with their unique, cutting-edge knowledge.
- Leads the long-term NLP strategy, definition of research needs and development of appropriate methodologies (develop solutions and tools to support diverse business needs)
- Leverages expert knowledge and serves as a resource for the department on a variety of NLP concepts, tools and languages to achieve results
- Uses best practices to develop statistical, machine learning techniques to build models that address business needs
- Develops and builds alignment for frameworks/prototypes that integrate data and machine learning/predictive modeling to make business decisions
- Champions the sharing and adoption of techniques and methodologies in an analytic environment
- Identifies languages and tools that can bring efficiencies or needed techniques to the team
- Provides thought leadership on opportunities to deliver on business goals and improve performance, leveraging cognitive/ linguistic concepts and methodologies
- Generates actionable insights related to customer needs and patterns of behaviors
- Leverages existing research to inform recommendations and decisions; identify new areas of research and techniques that can solve business problems
- Collaborates with business units in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions through the use of NLP insights and methodologies
- Communicates findings to ensure deliverables and results are well understood and incorporated into business processes
- Presents business cases and/or research findings and influences senior leaders across the enterprise to take recommended actions
- Influences and/or converts thinking of others or gains acceptance on complex ideas or new methodologies
- Utilizes effective project planning techniques to break down complex projects into tasks, manage scope of projects, and ensure deadlines are kept with a small number of team members
- Acts as an advisor, teacher and subject matter expert to provide support to individuals and teams across the department
- 10+ Years of experience
- Graduate degree strongly preferred in a quantitative field such as computer science, computational linguistics, engineering, applied math, physics etc.
- Deep familiarity with literature in the discipline and ability to research new concepts and stay up-to-date
- Experience applying natural language processing, linguistics, artificial intelligence, cognitive science or related principles in a business environment and can help to develop a competency in these areas
- Strong quantitative and analytical ability with advanced statistical and modeling technique
- Proven experience in using statistical modeling and/or machine learning techniques to build models that have driven company decision making
- Ability to develop and/or revise tactics to support changing business strategies and direction
- Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data and to present this data to audiences with various levels of expertise
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a consultant and act as a liaison in area of expertise
- Ability to manage a wide range of loosely defined moderate to complex situations, which require application of creativity and originality, where guidance and counsel may be unavailable
- Demonstrated ability to code and develop models in languages such as Python, SAS, SPSS, R, etc.
- A functional knowledge about business in general and seasoned, in-depth, multi-dimensional knowledge of industry and company economics
- Ability to lead a project team of various skills levels
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top