Data Engineer Intern
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Data Analytics incorporates techniques from many disciplines, including data acquisition, computer programming, data engineering, software development, high performance computing, and traditional business expertise, with the goal of extracting meaning from data to optimize future business decisions. Individuals in this field should wish to be experts in several of these disciplines and sufficiently proficient in others to effectively design, build, and deliver end to end products to optimize future decisions. Successful individuals demonstrate significant analytic agility, and quickly develop new skills across these disciplines as they evolve. The Data Analytics Engineer role is responsible for working with clients to create scaled out business solutions and/or data using best practices, appropriate tools and software to provide documented, trusted and actionable results. This role requires analytic agility and the ability to quickly learn new techniques and technologies.
This is a 12 week long Summer 2018 internship in the Data, Discovery & Decision Science (D3) department at Allstate. D3 is responsible for supporting other internal business units with a broad range of data, research and analytical projects. With fast growing team of highly skilled personnel, D3 provides a unique learning environment through formal training curriculum, mentoring, informal everyday coaching and hands-on training.
This internship is responsible for the development of data infrastructure, business solutions, and proof of concept to help D3 achieve its mission. This includes creating new and maintaining existing data acquisition processes from inception to fully developed solutions. This role requires close integration and partnership with business, and a high degree of business acumen is needed to output the best technical solutions. To be successful in this role, a person should establish themselves as a subject matter expert.
- Utilize multidisciplinary approach to Data Analytic problems to combine technical, analytics and business knowledge.
- Demonstrate high degree of analytic agility to meet fluid and dynamic business needs.
- Break down business problems into solvable components to recommend solutions.
- Use a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results (e.g., Python, C++, Java, Scala, SQL).
- Rapid development of new data and analytics prototypes.
- Develop and deliver data infrastructure to enable advanced analytics.
- Explore data sources to better understand the availability and quality of data.
- Document available data sources and how they are being transformed.
- Embrace an environment that supports innovation and process improvement.
- Disseminate knowledge across the team.
Allstate Internship Program:
- Target start date: May/June 2018
- 12 week summer internship program
- An attractive compensation package
- Housing stipend offered to qualified students
- Collaborative team environment
- Planned intern activities; including lunches with Allstate officers as keynote speakers
- Volunteer/community service opportunities
- Potential to receive possible full-time employment after graduation
- Currently pursuing a degree in a computer science, mathematics or equivalent.
- Pursuit of a graduate degree is a plus.
- Ability to code and develop prototypes in languages such as Python, C++, Java, Scala, SQL
- Some familiarity with the hadoop ecosystem desired.
- Experience with Bash or Korn Shell Scripting desired.
- Familiarity with statistical concepts and related technology (R, SAS, Matlab) is a plus.
- Demonstrated analytic agility and problem solving skills.
- Ability and desire to learn new languages and technologies.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Solid written and oral communication skills.
- Desire to share and inform others.
This position is posted in multiple office locations. Please ONLY apply to the location you are most interested in.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top