- San Francisco, CA
Avail is a new car sharing platform focused on improving mobility and reducing the cost of car ownership. We give car owners a way to earn extra income from their idle cars and connect drivers with a convenient, affordable way to drive a car when they want.
As part of the Avail Data Engineering team at Allstate, you will be working to manage our ever-growing collection of vehicle sharing and usage data from across the USA. We support our business analytics and marketing teams by performing data integration and ETL between an increasingly diverse set of data sources and our data warehouse. We will also build big-data applications leveraging techniques from operations research and machine learning to directly enrich, personalize and optimize the Avail car-sharing product. This is a green field opportunity to contribute to the design and implementation of a flexible, scalable data framework for an exciting new sector of the sharing economy.
This position can be based in either of two Avail HQ offices at San Francisco or Chicago, or fully remote with regular travel to SF HQ.
- Design and implement scalable data workflows and pipelines, and integrate diverse data sources and sinks
- Design appropriate database schemas and optimize database deployment architectures for analytics query loads
- Implement data transforms and organization for various data stores (data lakes and warehouses)
- Design and implement new platform architectures for building and serving machine learning models
- Work with the platform operations team to monitor and maintain live production systems
- Provide tooling and automation for infrastructure, continuous testing, and continuous deploy of data systems
- Various experience levels considered. Junior candidates must have a strong background of coursework or academic projects around data engineering or machine learning at scale or have appropriate industry experience contributing to such projects. Senior candidates must demonstrate a track record of successful technical leadership in the execution of large-scale data projects.
- Software Engineering - Level-appropriate experience in software engineering and SDLC (our stack may include Python, Golang and Scala). Must consider code readability, reuse, and extensibility a priority when developing solutions.
- Big Data Engineering - Experience in building scalable data pipelines involving machine learning, optimization or prediction
- Big Data Devops - Experience in performing operations and automation of various big-data ecosystems in production environments on AWS or a related cloud service
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, cross regional, diverse, and dynamic work environment
Nice to have:
- Experience with AWS data stack - Redshift, Athena, EMR, Kinesis, DocumentDB, DynamoDB
- Experience with establishing well-organized data lakes
- Experience setting up and optimizing data warehouses
- Background in data modeling and performance tuning in relational and no-SQL databases
- Experience with data practices (security, data management and governance)
- Experience in operations research, machine learning or optimization
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the "EEO is the Law" poster click "here". This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click "here". This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company's policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee's ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.
Back to top