Competitive Intelligence Manager
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Competitive Intelligence Associate Manager is a frontline leader for the Competitive Intelligence function in Encompass. This individual is responsible for providing and supporting actions around competitive intelligence for leaders across all areas of Encompass and Senior Management with a focus primarily on complex situations related to competitive intelligence by tracking the activities of the overall market, specific competitors and providing activity updates, threat and opportunity assessments. This position will include leading others that may or may not be direct reports in accomplishing this work. The subject matter is focused on competitive intelligence related to price, product, underwriting and strategy.
Lead Integration and Execution
- Supports strategies to ensure the integration of competitive intelligence in product, pricing, risk management, and local market strategies
- Our team receives requests for information by Senior Level Management requiring quick turnaround times and high-quality analysis. This position will require the manager to assist others in navigating through obstacles to quickly and thoroughly resolve escalated issues
- Focused on competitor pricing, coverage and underwriting, CI work will include fact gathering resulting in insights and possible implications to Encompass. The manager needs to independently, under minimal supervision, manage/perform multiple complex work assignments including problem resolution across systems, processes or channels; and navigate obstacles to deliver the work product
- As a leader and key contributor, critical to the achievement of team/organization goals, serve as a mentor and provide guidance to peers and manage less experienced team members in the development and delivery of their work products
- Provide thought leadership and develop business recommendations, present and communicate findings to various levels of Senior Leadership
- Maintain and apply advanced knowledge of the business, its products and processes, and advanced knowledge of competitive intelligence research and analytic methodologies
- Coordinate, manage and lead competitive intelligence people, projects and processes
- Understands the business of Insurance in order to improve outreach to other Areas Of Responsibility; Understands auto and home insurance, coverage(s) included and excluded, contracts of adhesion and claims settlement practices
Research and Analysis
- Develops familiarity with traditional/non-traditional sources of competitive intelligence and utilizes information from these sources to inform impacted AORs (i.e. Introduction/changes to state-specific discounts or rating plans and new rate/rule/underwriting filings)
- Promotes and applies advanced competitive intelligence analytical methodologies to address industry issues; proactively identify issues of concern
- Perform advance competitive analysis and the analysis of unstructured problems may collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify and define the underlying business issue lead the development, design, analysis and execution of the project
- Effectively identify and frame issues and their implications assess impacts of recommendations of less experienced analysts develop an advanced level of recommendations
Maintain an operating model for delivering Competitive Intelligence
- Maintain and communicate competitive intelligence ethical standards, ensuring that all competitive intelligence is gathered from the appropriate sources and employs appropriate collection methodologies
- Manage and enhance a best practice approach to managing competitors (e.g. deep dives, scanning, subject matter experts) and define clear objectives, along with specific roles, responsibilities and requirements to the team to execute on the strategy.
- Execute the integration plans with cross functional stakeholders to expand the team's influence and value to the enterprise
- Foster knowledge exchange and disseminating best practices across stakeholder groups through formal and informal forums and processes
- Manage resources to maintain tools, techniques and analysis to enable Product Operations leadership and other functions to execute on their responsibilities and collectively deepen our understanding of our markets, competitive landscape and customer segments in order to capitalize on identified opportunities and minimize risks in pursuit of the organization's business objectives
- Education: Bachelor's degree required or equivalent experience
- Experience; 5+ years of experience in research and analysis and competitive analysis/intelligence
- Advanced product, price, underwriting and insurance regulation knowledge, with working knowledge of personal lines rate plans and product offerings
- Advanced project/process management and development skills
- Ability to demonstrate and foster a sense of urgency, strong commitment and accountability while making sound business decisions and achieving goals
- Ability to develop, mentor and coach others
- Advanced qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Advanced process development
- Advanced Microsoft Office Suite skills, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access
- Experience and knowledge in the use of data sources and applications to conduct research
- Strong experience in time and task management and project management
- Ability to engage and influence others
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with multi-disciplinary groups and all organizational levels.
- Strong presentation skills; ability to guide leadership, clients and partners through strategy and team goals
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top