Commercial Product Manager
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Allstate Business Insurance Product State Management team makes business decisions for a defined marketplace which appropriately consider product, pricing and risk management levers. The team evaluates the opportunities and challenges in the marketplace and builds strategies to address them while ensuring integration with other business units to achieve growth and profitability objectives.
The Assistant State Manager is accountable for the overall growth and profitability for all Commercial Lines within a state. Makes key decisions and owns the execution of rates, RMPs, and growth initiatives. Leadership role on the Allstate Business Insurance Executive team. Serves as a subject matter expert on moderately complex issues that require innovative and creative solutions. Responsible for communication with the MOCs and their agents. Trains and coaches less experienced team members. Possible people management responsibilities.
- Responsible for end-to-end development and deployment of Risk Management, Pricing, Filing, and Product strategies using fact based decisions based upon a knowledge of the market, which includes competitors, regulatory and legal environment, claims handling trends, and distribution channel / agent relationships;
- Immediate responsibility related to the above will involve the development of viable approaches to the successful growth and profit of the Commercial business.
- Analyze statistical, non-statistical, legal, and regulatory information to evaluate risk of potential market segments;
- Monitor the overall profitability including growth and retention of products to ensure consistency with product strategies, goals, and priorities;
- Monitor and analyze flow, loss, exposure, underwriting and premium trends for all commercial lines of business to make corrective actions to improve growth and profitability
- Build and leverage strong relationships with internal partners including Line Managers, Commercial Business Consultants, Underwriting, Marketing, IT, Compliance and Claims to form consensus on and move to needed actions
- Point person and subject matter expert for all Commercial lines, supporting the MOCs and their agency force
- Fill in for State Manager as situations dictate.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of related experience
- Strong business acumen, with a strong interest in external Industry environment and trends and ability to apply those to make informed decisions on rates, pricing and underwriting
- Strong qualitative and quantitative skills to support the application of sophisticated products, with multi-variate rating plan components
- Thinks critically, and actively shares opinions, even when contrary to conventional thought
- Detailed understanding of the business and rating plans
- Ability to dissect and manage data at a cellular level to optimize risk selection, market segmentation and competitive position
- Strong knowledge of competitor market conditions and ability to react accordingly
- Ability to articulate financial results and impact of strategy to senior management
- Basic project management skills
- Strong influencing skills, ability to work collaboratively and influence organizational thinking
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to communicate clearly to a wide variety of audiences
- Intermediate Skills using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top