Catastrophe Modeling Technical Senior Consultant
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Job Family Summary
The Catastrophe Modeling & Analytics Team (CMAT) leverages vended catastrophe models to develop catastrophe information critical to pricing development. The team also provides information, analysis and support to those responsible for risk management strategy and execution, ranging across line managers, state managers, business unit leaders and enterprise risk managers.
The Cat Modeling Sr. Consultant II provides support in the form of research and analytical assignments. They work closely with their manager on research assignments of high complexity, and are responsible for coordinating and leading model validation, the generation of average annual loss and probable maximum loss estimates, as well as support for the risk transfer work. This role is about 60% technical and 40% analytical.
Catastrophe Risk Management and Ratemaking Support
- Leads the validation of the results produced from running Allstate exposure data through commercial catastrophe modeling software
- Read, understand, and interpret technical documentation for models/perils
- Drives the maintenance of CMASS (Catastrophe Modeling Analytical Software Suite), including PML Projection, Catastrophe Exposure management Reports, and Property Strategy Tool
- Drives the generation of PML estimates
- Drives the quarterly reporting of company distributions to Reinsurance Accounting
- Provide support to Pricing with the annual Net Cost of Reinsurance and Retained Risk Provision work
- Follows established procedures and processes to support Treasury with the annual rating agency questionnaires
- Drives the support for the Catastrophe Risk Management work
- Determine appropriate analyses to be conducted for projects to make recommendations to achieve corporate goals
- Plans, implements, manages, and/or contributes on projects that are of high complexity and are moderate scale using accepted project management standards
- Analyze data and review analysis from others and identify and resolve basic data issues
- Integrate and analyze data from multiple sources as to reach conclusions and make recommendations
- Forecasts short-term and long-term deliverables
- Tracks plan performance and project timeline and communicates and presents project status
- Ensures project controls are in place throughout the lifecycle of the project
- Directs and is responsible for work that needs to be performed by a team and/or direct reports
- Assesses resource needs including skills and training requirements (when leading project teams and/or managing direct reports)
- Determine where additional resources/expertise may be necessary to successfully complete projects/assignments
- Develops communication strategies and materials to support deliverables
- Completes project tasks as assigned and on-time
- Actively builds strong relationships among teams and team members to ensure cooperation on project objectives
- Trains/coaches team members or peers and actively shares expertise with peers
- Serves as a subject matter expert for their respective discipline(s) from an internal perspective
- Evaluates procedures and processes regularly and determines/recommends alternatives or improvements
- Leads the monthly SQL audit process
- Leads the software approval process
- Leads the processes for creating new shared drives, granting access to/removing from shared drives, and requesting storage
- Drives the effort to support the equipment/hardware in the computer lab
- Create code to support the retrieval of exposure data
- Create code to support the risk transfer work
- Run catastrophe modeling software (e.g., Touchstone), including importing exposures, executing various runs, and exporting results
- Train others on the use of the catastrophe modeling software
- Leads the effort required (between Allstate and the modeling vendor) to keep the modeling software functioning, including updates/patches
- Drive the effort needed to initiate projects with Allstate's technology group
- Bachelor's degree or higher in mathematics, finance, economics or other related/quantitative field
- 4-6 years of Property & Casualty insurance experience with a primary carrier, reinsurer, and/or reinsurance intermediary
- Solid knowledge and understanding of commercially available catastrophe models preferred
- Working knowledge of Actuarial Standards of Practice preferred
- High level organizational and project management skills in order to handle multiple concurrent assignments
- Strong computer proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Strong proficiency of VBA, SAS, and/or SQL
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with multi-disciplinary groups and all organizational levels
- Strong decision making skills
- Works effectively in a team environment
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top