Bodily Injury Adjuster
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Job Family Summary
The Adjusting Function is responsible for verifying policy coverage and limits. The Adjusting function investigates and evaluates damage and/or liability; estimates damages, losses, or total indemnity; sets and maintains reserves; and/or negotiates and settles claims. Third party liability and casualty claims involve coverage and liability investigation, negotiation, and settlement of policyholder and third-party liability, property damage, and bodily injury claims.
Under general supervision, this job is responsible for investigating basic and occasionally moderately complex, unrepresented claims which may include: (1) uninsured or underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) claims involving physical property damage and/or bodily injury in single or multi car accidents; (2) Injury Casualty Soft Tissue (ICST), and unrep-moderate claims. The individual also may handle basic and occasionally moderately complex, non-represented CPL claims. The individual takes recorded statements, resolves loss of use claims, makes payments to appropriate parties, and negotiates and settles or refers bodily injury issues that cannot be resolved. The individual delivers compassionate service that is fast, fair, and easy, to ensure customer retention, while verifying coverage, investigating and determining liability, and negotiating and settling minor or occasionally moderate claims. The individual is capable of working independently, prioritizing the individual's own responsibilities, and managing the individual's own workload. The individual is also gaining experience and consistently meets band level behaviors, production, quality, and/or customer service goals.
- Makes and maintains a connection with the customer by understanding and meeting their needs; serves the customer with empathy; and follows up to ensure that customer needs have been met
File Documentation and Reporting
- Summarizes documents and enters into claim system notes
- Documents a claim file with notes, evaluations and decision making process
Coverage, Liability and Evaluation
- Determines and explains minimum coverage limits in basic and occasionally moderately complex claims involving single or multiple claimants
- Sets initial reserve, updates reserve, documents rationale and claim summary notes
- Obtains photos and/or conducts scene investigation
- Takes recorded statements from claimants, insureds, witnesses, medical providers, etc., conducts investigations into minor and moderate auto accidents, determines liability, and prepares summaries
- Determines claim value
Negotiation and Settlement Guidance
- Negotiates and settles claims in accordance with business unit best practices
- Reviews medical reports in preparation for claims settlement evaluation
Other Projects and Responsibilities
- May serve on a committee or project as appropriate
- May participate in one or more basic or occasionally moderately complex special assignments
- Bachelors degree in related field preferred or equivalent experience
- Ability to interact effectively with internal or external customers and act with empathy
- Beginning to apply knowledge of insurance policy, coverage, and regulation
- Beginning to apply knowledge of claim processes, policies, procedures, claim systems, coverage, liability, damage estimating, and/or settlement, and adherence to applicable legal compliance standards
- Beginning to apply industry knowledge to discipline practices, including best practices, to support the business unit
- Beginning to apply knowledge of basic analytical procedures to reconcile, manipulate, and recognize patterns of data
- Beginning to apply knowledge of standardized problem solving and preparation of basic reports for analysis
- Beginning to apply ability to leverage learned technical skills in support of team objectives
Notice of Licensing Requirement
As a condition of your employment, you may be expected to comply with the state specific licensing process and requirements to perform work as a Liability Adjuster. Failure to complete these requirements within the time frame designated by the hiring department may result in the termination of your employment with Allstate Insurance Company.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the "EEO is the Law" poster click "here". This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click "here". This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company's policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee's ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.
Back to top