Big Data Engineer Lead Consultant
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
We are the Good Hands; we help people realize their hopes and dreams through products and services designed to protect them from life's uncertainties and to prepare them for the future. Nearly every major Allstate project has a partnership with technology – a partnership that is imperative to the success of the organization. With the company's size and related technology scale, job opportunities and career advancement paths in IT are abundant at Allstate. In order to maintain our place at the forefront of the technological landscape, Allstate needs to hire the best and the brightest talent – is that you?
Allstate is looking for top engineers to help build next generation data analytic and big data platforms and software solutions. The Big Data Developer position works in an agile environment interacting with multiple technology and business areas designing and developing next generation analytics platforms and applications. The individual will have a focus on user interface design and development as well as additional coding responsibilities. The technician is responsible for the strategy and design of complex projects as well as coding, and also supports project planning and mentoring. Effective communication is important as this individual will be interfacing with different areas including business clients, technology, architecture and infrastructure services.
- Responsible for design, prototyping and delivery of software solutions within the big data eco-system.
- Responsible for technical ecosystem (software, data, interfaces, integration) and strategic roadmaps
- Responsible for designing and developing modern, cross-browser compatible user interfaces
- Responsible for performance tuning and scalability improvements of distributed applications
- Researching and evaluation of new tools and technologies to solve business problems
- Responsible for designing and building new Big Data systems for analyzing data into actionable insights
- Responsible for development of advanced analytics solutions and integrating new tools to improve descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics
- Translates business concepts to technical implementations to drive alignment and decision making
- Work on an geographically dispersed team embracing Agile and DevOps strategies for themselves and others while driving adoption to enable greater technology and business value
- Participate in strategic planning discussions with technical and non-technical partners
- Effective and efficient utilization of programming tools and techniques
- Mentors others and continually develops themselves
- 5-6 years Hadoop experience with hands on coding and development experience in Java, Scala and Python.
- Big Data experience with Cloudera, Hortonworks and or EMR
- Solid development experience with Spark
- Experience with streaming toolsets such as Kafka, Confluent, Stream sets and or NiFi
- Experience developing large-scale distributed applications
- Familiarity and comfort with participating in a high-performing geographically dispersed team
- Familiarity with source control solutions (ex git, GitHub, Jenkins, Artifactory)
- Good verbal and written communication skills
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top