Founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2016, Arity is a data and analytics company focused on improving transportation. We collect and analyze enormous amounts of data, using predictive analytics to build solutions with a single goal in mind: to make transportation smarter, safer and more useful for everyone.
At the heart of that mission are the people that work here-the dreamers, doers and difference-makers that call this place home. As part of that team, your work will showcase both your intelligence and your creativity as you tackle real problems and put your talents towards transforming transportation.
That's because at Arity, we believe work and life shouldn't be at odds with one another. After all, we know that your unique qualities give you a unique perspective. We don't just want you to see yourself here. We want you to be yourself here.
Job Family Summary
Within IS, the platform engineers are responsible for and accounting for the engineering and operations of the Allstate CompoZed Platform which is comprised of cloud environments (Cloud Foundry), distributed systems management systems, and application continuous delivery tools and pipeline.
The Platform Engineer is a full stack engineer who builds the cloud application development and hosting platforms for Allstate. This role will have the primary accountability of owning, developing, implementing and operating Allstate's Cloud platforms. This role will also encompass developing, building, administering, and deploying self-service tools that enable Allstate developers to build, deploy and operate cloud native applications.
As a Platform Engineer Lead Consultant, he/she will be a team anchor for engineering teams primarily working in a paired programming team, collaborating with different team members. He/she anchors the shared and collective knowledge of the team about the system they own and manage. He/she will lead a team in engineering and building out new platform products and services. He/she will lead the team and ensure that SLAs are met in executing operational tasks to maintain the platform and servicing customer requests. He/she will lead the engineering practices to improve the efficiency of the system itself, and the efficiency of the team in running said system. He/she will serve as a team anchor and establish practices for paired programming, test driven development, infrastructure engineering, and continuous delivery on the team.
- Designs, builds, manages and operate the infrastructure and configuration of the platform infrastructure and application environments with a focus on automation and infrastructure as code
- Leads a team's engineering practices around test driven and continuous delivery of infrastructure
- Designs, builds, manages and operates the continuous delivery framework and tools, and acting as a subject matter expert on CI/CD for developer teams
- Designs, builds, manages and operates the infrastructure as a service layer (hosted and cloud based platforms) that supports the different platform services
- Write and build continuous delivery pipelines to manage and automate the lifecycle of the different platform components
- Develops comprehensive monitoring solutions to provide full visibility to the different platform components using tools and services like Graphite, ELK, Datadog, New Relic and other similar tools
- Develops a log analytics solution to provide logging-as-a-service to hosted applications based on open source solutions
- Integrates different components and develop new services with a focus on open source to allow a minimal friction developer interaction with the platform and application services
- Evaluates performance trends and expected changes in demand and capacity; and establish the appropriate scalability plans
- Identifies and troubleshoots any availability and performance issues at multiple layers of deployment, from hardware, operating environment, network and application
- Recommends and maintains technology related policies and procedures
Functional Competencies - Proficiency levels
Infrastructure Engineering 3
Infrastructure Operations 4
Application Knowledge 3
Thriving in Change 3
- Four-year degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related area, or equivalent work experience
- 5-8 years of combined application development and infrastructure engineering experience
- Able to mentor team members on the various engineering practices including extreme programming, product mindset, cloud/as-a-service approach, and infrastructure as code
- Hands-on style - willingness and competent in producing necessary changes in our infrastructure and processes.
- Will be working primarily in an Extreme Programming environment and must be willing to work in a paired programming/engineering model
- Able to facilitate diverse teams, multi-task, and work under pressure to meet aggressive schedule targets
- Able to work effectively across organizational and geographical boundaries
- Identify creative solutions for technical support issues
- Able to communicate effectively across groups of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to present ideas and solutions
That's the day-to-day, now let's talk about the rest of it. As we mentioned, Arity was founded by The Allstate Corporation. But you'll be working for-and at-Arity. It's the best of both worlds. You'll get access to the full suite of Allstate benefits and work in a fast-paced startup culture. That's more than just free breakfasts, brain breaks and ping pong. It's a culture that encourages you to be you.
Sound like a fit? Apply now! We can't wait to meet you.
Arity.com Instagram Twitter LinkedIn
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Back to top