Arity - Lead Software Engineer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Arity is a new technology company that uses advanced predictive analytics to help partners evaluate risk and make sense of everyday experiences. Our proprietary algorithms analyze billions of data points, distilling the flood of information into simple, actionable insights. Chief among these is the Arity Driving Score, which models billions of miles of driving and claims data to assess risk, gauging each driver's likelihood of an event.
Founded by The Allstate Corporation, an organization synonymous with protection and preparation, Arity is born from a long-standing commitment to deep customer understanding and future-focused innovation. Fueled by the curiosity of a startup, our expertise begins with connected car, providing applied insights that meet insurer and transportation/mobility company needs and enhance driver safety, connectivity and value.
This is a full stack software engineering and people leader position. You will be part of a product team that owns the testing (through automated unit and integration tests), development, deployment and support of your product. Write code in a paired programming environment 80% of your time and perform management duties the other 20% of your time. Limited meetings and email interaction to enable you to be more productive. Drive software engineering and xp best practices on your product team and with your direct reports. Write tests first, watch them fail, get them to pass, rinse, repeat. TDD is how we operate!
This position is on site in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago, IL; Monday through Friday, regular business hours.
- A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals.
- 7+ years engineering software at scale
- 3+ years technical leadership
- Experience and/or interest in doing Test Driven Development
- Experience and/or interest in doing paired programming
- Passionate about mentoring other engineers in software development
Nice to Have:
- People leadership experience
- Experience and knowledge in web and API security including authentication, authorization, OAuth, OWASP, OpenID, and SAML
- Experience in testing frameworks like JUnit, Mockito, Jasmine, Protractor, Cucumber, and other like technologies
- Experience with packaging/build tools like Gradle, Maven, NPM, Artifactory, Jenkins, Concourse, etc.
- Backend development, design and implementation; database (relational, NoSQL, caching), messaging and big data development, implementation and optimization
- Experience with Java Spring
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Back to top