Arity - Hadoop Administrator
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Arity is a new technology company that uses advanced predictive analytics to help partners evaluate risk and make sense of everyday experiences. Our proprietary algorithms analyze billions of data points, distilling the flood of information into simple, actionable insights. Chief among these is the Arity Driving Score, which models billions of miles of driving and claims data to assess risk, gauging each driver's likelihood of an event.
Founded by The Allstate Corporation, an organization synonymous with protection and preparation, Arity is born from a long-standing commitment to deep customer understanding and future-focused innovation. Fueled by the curiosity of a startup, our expertise begins with connected car, providing applied insights that meet insurer and transportation/mobility company needs and enhance driver safety, connectivity and value.
Don't miss this opportunity to join a team where your innovative thinking and technology skills can improve the safety of those on the road and further enhance the car-ownership experience.
As a Hadoop Administrator you will be responsible for the design, implementation, and on-going support of Arity's Hortonworks Hadoop Distribution on AWS.
Manage large scale multi-tenant Hadoop cluster environments residing on AWS.
Handle all Hadoop environment builds, including design, capacity planning, cluster setup, performance tuning and ongoing monitoring.
Perform high-level, day-to-day operational maintenance, support, and upgrades for the Hadoop Cluster.
Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks.
Creation of key performance metrics, measuring the utilization, performance and overall health of the cluster.
Deploy new/upgraded hardware and software releases and establish proper communication channels.
Work with appropriate stakeholders to ensure we have solid capacity planning and can manage our TCO.
Ability to collaborate with product managers, lead engineers and data scientists on all facets of the Hadoop Eco-System.
- Ensure existing data/information assets are secure and adhering to a best in class security model.
Technical Experiences Required
- Possess at least 3 years of managing a multi-tenant production Hadoop environment;
- At least 2 year of experience leveraging Cloud Services (IaaS, PaaS). AWS Certification is preferred;
- Proven experience with identifying hardware and software related issues.
- A deep understanding of Hadoop design principals, cluster connectivity, security and the factors that affect distributed system performance.
- Should have at least 1 year of experience with a number of different real-time integration tools such as Apache Flink, Kafka, Storm or Flume.
- Experience with Hortonworks DataFlow (NifI, Kafka, Storm, Atlas) and Hortonworks DataPlatform (Yarn HDFS) is preferred;
- Experience with Ansible or other Infrastructure as Code software
- Expert experience with at least two if not most of the following languages; SQL, Python, Java, Scala, Spark or Bash.
- Knowledge of best practices related to security, performance, and disaster recovery.
- Experience with complex networking infrastructure including firewalls, VLANs, and load balancers.
Personal Experiences Required
- Proven ability to lead multiple high priorities initiative with aggressive timelines leveraging an agile framework.
- Comfortable performing in a fast paced, dynamic and ambiguous business environment.
- Ability to concentrate on a wide range of loosely defined complex situations, which require creativity and originality, where guidance and counsel may be unavailable.
- Demonstrated a product mindset with an ability to set forward thinking and direction.
- Excellent listening and communication skills.
o Must be able to communicate technical information clearly, able to 'translate' between diverse groups of technical and non-technical individuals.
o Ability to synthesize large amounts of complex data into meaningful conclusions and present recommendations to a vast array of individuals.
o Partner with business units in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions.
o Ability to structure documents to effectively communicate with senior leadership and drive alignment and decision making.
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to offer why one technical solutions is more preferable than another.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex concepts.
- Ability to lead a group of employees (directly or indirectly).
- Ability to work in a team environment in a collaborative manner.
- Proven track record of sound, effective decision making.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science / Business / Data Sciences required, Master's Degree Preferred.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top