Arity Data Engineer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Arity is a new technology company that uses advanced predictive analytics to help partners evaluate risk and make sense of everyday experiences. Our proprietary algorithms analyze billions of data points, distilling the flood of information into simple, actionable insights. Chief among these is the Arity Driving Score, which models billions of miles of driving and claims data to assess risk, gauging each driver's likelihood of an event.
Founded by The Allstate Corporation, an organization synonymous with protection and preparation, Arity is born from a long-standing commitment to deep customer understanding and future-focused innovation. Fueled by the curiosity of a startup, our expertise begins with connected car, providing applied insights that meet insurer and transportation/mobility company needs and enhance driver safety, connectivity and value.
Don't miss this opportunity to join a team where your innovative thinking and technology skills can improve the safety of those on the road and further enhance the car-ownership experience.
The Data Engineer will set and provide data architecture direction to support business objectives and requirements that align with roadmaps, standards, and best practices; focusing on security, design, data quality, strategies, system availability and resiliency. This position is responsible for working closely with all areas in the company and outside to ensure we are treating data as an asset.
- Create and establish a common Business Vocabulary / Taxonomy for the business.
- Build/Extend a canonical schema for all A2A and B2B integration layers.
- Design API / Service Layer interfaces.
- Know and apply Industry standards as they relate to our business (ie. GeoJSON, IoT/Sensor API, etc.).
- Develop and document data architectural solutions and recommendations for business products.
- Close calibration with product managers and lead engineers.
- Lead technical conversations with domain architects, engineering teams, application developers, data-scientists on solutions and issues specific to data / information architecture.
- Ensure existing data/information assets are identified, stewarded, governed and leveraged across the enterprise.
- Identify gaps within existing data architecture and recommend alternative solutions.
- Participate in the definition of technical standards and guidelines that pertain to data and information-use, security, access and governance.
Technical Experiences Required
- Proven experience with logical / physical data modeling across a number of different data management platforms. Ideal candidate should be able to data model relational and document/object styles;
- Require at least 3 years of Avro / JSON / XML schema design;
- At least 2-years of experience designing REST API Interfaces;
- Working knowledge of API Management is preferred, leveraging Apigee is a plus;
- Should have at least 2 years of experience with a number of different real-time integration tools such as Apache Flink, Apache Kafka / Schema Registry;
- Experience with Hortonworks DataFlow (NifI, Kafka, Storm, Atlas) and Hortonworks DataPlatform (Yarn HDFS) is preferred;
- Proficient with GeoSpatial functionality and data modeling techniques to support GeoSpatial solutions (GeoJSON);
- Possess at least 1 year of experience leveraging Cloud Services (IaaS, PaaS). AWS Certification is preferred;
- Skilled with data integration issues and integration patterns.
Personal Experiences Required
- Proven ability to lead multiple high priorities initiative with aggressive timelines leveraging an agile framework.
- Comfortable performing in a fast paced, dynamic and ambiguous business environment.
- Ability to concentrate on a wide range of loosely defined complex situations, which require creativity and originality, where guidance and counsel may be unavailable.
- Demonstrated a product mindset with an ability to set forward thinking and direction.
- Excellent listening and communication skills.
- Must be able to communicate technical information clearly, able to 'translate' between diverse groups of technical and non-technical individuals.
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of complex data into meaningful conclusions and present recommendations to a vast array of individuals.
- Partner with business units in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions.
- Ability to structure documents to effectively communicate with senior leadership and drive alignment and decision making.
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to offer why one technical solutions is more preferable than another.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex concepts.
- Ability to lead a group of employees (directly or indirectly).
- Ability to work in a team environment in a collaborative manner.
- Proven track record of sound, effective decision making.
- Bachelor's Degree required, Master's Degree Preferred.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top