Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Encompass is a growing, $1B+ business that is part of the Allstate Corporation. Encompass sells and services personal insurance products exclusively through independent agencies. It has never been more exciting at Encompass than it is today. With Encompass' growth and exciting opportunities, the Encompass Technology Organization is also growing.
The Encompass Technology Organization supports and develops technology solutions for the Encompass Brand of insurance products within the Allstate Insurance Company. The Encompass Technology Organization celebrates strategic thinking and leadership, creative problems solving, full engagement, and working together to serve our agents and policyholders, particular in their times of greatest need. Our fast-paced environment embraces innovative thinking, continuous learning, and collaboration. We are a high-performance organization that believes in celebrating our employees' efforts with a pay-for-performance approach, a competitive compensation package as well as opportunities for personal and professional growth. At Encompass, we understand that when our employees are at their best, so are we. That's why we offer a variety of development and well-being programs to encourage and empower our employees. We are committed to helping each employee work and live to his or her full potential.
As part of the growth of the Encompass Technology Organization and to maintain our place at the forefront of the technological landscape, Encompass needs to hire the best and the brightest talent – is that you?
The Application Developer will design and implement changes to support the Encompass business.
The Application Developer is involved in the entire systems development lifecycle: documenting design for new features and defect resolution, developing code, participating in code reviews, preparing for and participating in testing and releasing software to production.
All application changes are made using the Tenfold Universal Application platform – a framework of rapid-development tools you use to describe the data model, define business rules and business logic, tune and maintain performance, and fully customize the application.
The applicant should have a working knowledge the systems development lifecycle, understanding of relational databases, a working knowledge of SQL and Oracle (or other RDBMS), and experience in developing working enterprise applications.
- Review and understand detailed business, functional, and high-level technical requirements including technical recovery, security and audit.
- Participate in creating detailed design documents that support interface and technical design and participate in design reviews
- Provide/confirm detailed estimates for assigned work units and provide communications for deviations from estimates. Proactively works with project managers to ensure appropriate time is allocated to assigned tasks.
- Generate and code work units for simple to intermediate changes, enhancements, and modules according to specifications and standards.
- Follows documentation and development standards.
- Accurately document design and code other work.
- Prepare and conduct structured code review.
- Prepare accurate data for test plan and modules. Participate in testing reviews and release cycles.
- Track and resolve simple to intermediate defects.
- Assist in production support activities by determining the nature, impact, and extent of the problem.
- Assist with change management activities supporting production deployment to Developers, Quality Control Analysts, and Environment Management personnel.
- Ensures project artifacts are ready for promotion to production. Communicates and coordinates among developers, QC analysts, and environment management personnel and completes and delivers migration or change management form to above parties.
- Able to effectively communicate with peers, business analysts, project managers, quality control, and across other technology team boundaries
- Must possess strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills; able to pay close attention to detail, proven project methodologies; and able to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
- Basic competency in programming or data management software
- Basic understanding and commitment to quality-oriented, SDLC methodology
- Basic understanding of database concepts (tables, columns, data relationships)
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills
- An interest in becoming an expert in creating and maintaining Policy Management Enterprise software
- Competent with Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel
- TenFold Universal Application experience
- Rapid development methodology and 4GL tools experience (Oracle Forms, Oracle Apex, Progress 4GL, Informix 4GL)
- Familiarity with IDE's such as Eclipse, Rational Application Developer
- Experience with unit testing software (JUnit, Selenium, etc...)
- Prior knowledge in the Personal Lines Insurance industry
- Knowledge of interface security including SFTP, FTP, SSL using putty or other utilities
- Knowledge of XML parsing, querying and validation
- Knowledge of Unix and Korn/shell Scripting
- Relational database experience, SQL, PL/SQL
Education: Associates/Bachelors/Master's degree in Accounting, MIS, Math, Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent work experience; 0-3 years of application development experience.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top