Agile Software Engineer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate is looking to hire multiple entry-level software engineers to join our Claim Technology product team. Claim Technology is building products to expand business and economic opportunities for Allstate with the goal to become the industry leader in digital capabilities, providing efficient and superior customer service.
As a software engineer, you will primarily be responsible for working on a highly focused product team to develop code all day, every day on a full stack cloud platform, leveraging test-driven development and continuous delivery. To help you grow, teach others and maximize productivity, you will work in a paired programming environment that is highly structured.
- You love to code and you're willing to fail fast and iterate to success
- You are ready to judge your success by the success of your team and happiness of your customers
- You are a team player and have well developed communication skills
- You have experience and/or genuine interest in Test Driven Development (TDD) and agile methodologies. If you are not interested in truly living in this world, it's not going to work out.
- You need to be proficient in at least one programming language, preferably more. Java/J2EE is the core so you'll need to be willing to get up to speed.
- You have a clear understanding of cloud services, deployment models and distributed systems
We are the Allstate CompoZed Development team. We bring to market innovative services and solutions for Allstate by partnering with IT developers across the company leveraging the Agile XP methodology and the Pivotal Cloud Foundry technology platform. On most CompoZed projects, the technical team is a mix of a Product Manager (representing the business needs), a Product Designer providing UX information architecture and design, as well as highly skilled and diversified Product Developers.
- Develop code leveraging test-driven development
- Work in a paired programming environment, contributing to agile ceremonies
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Provide support for software products in user environments
- Ability to problem solve and reach resolution with a broader perspective in mind
- Be a continuous learner with a passion for growing your skills
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 0-3 years of solid Java experience
- Experience with coding and testing software
- Solid understanding of main Object Oriented concepts (inheritance, composition etc...
- Good written and verbal skills
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Back to top