Actuary Sr. Consultant II
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Job Family Summary
Analytics is responsible for aligning with and contributing to ADS growth and profitability objectives by providing expert actuarial guidance, influencing business strategies, executing flawlessly, and rigorously defending our work.
The Actuarial Senior Consultant is responsible for coordinating, leading, and managing projects in support of pricing personal or commercial insurance lines of business utilizing accepted actuarial and statistical standards and methodologies and knowledge gained through on the job training. The Senior Consultant will utilize various statistical modeling techniques to support the creation of models, will educate business partners on the use of these models, and will apply these models to improve pricing, reserving, and risk management. The Senior Consultant works closely with their Analytics Manager and State/Line Manager to develop appropriate pricing and product strategies of moderate to high complexity to support business goals. Pursuing actuarial designation and has completed at least two actuarial exams, 3 or more preferred.
- Performs moderate to highly complex actuarial functions used in determination of the indicated rate level need for a line of business
- Performs and evaluates moderately complex trend analysis (e.g., competitor analysis, risk management, financial)
- Uses best practices and traditional statistical/modeling techniques to develop and maintain rating models and other models as necessary
- Determines appropriate analyses to be conducted for projects to make recommendations to achieve corporate goals
- Plans, implements, manages, and/or contributes on projects that are moderate to high complexity and are of moderate scale using accepted project management standards
- Forecasts short-term and long-term deliverables
- Tracks own plan performance and project timeline
- Communicates and presents project status
- Ensures project controls are in place throughout the lifecycle of the project within own tasks
- Directs and is responsible for work that needs to be performed by a team and/or direct reports
- Assesses resource needs including skills and training requirements (when leading project teams and/or managing direct reports)
- Assists in determining where additional resources/ expertise may be necessary to successfully complete projects/ assignment
- Actively builds strong relationships among teams and team members to ensure cooperation on project objectives
- Supports and/or leads development/design of new plans, programs, processes, products up to moderate complexity
- Develops communication strategies and materials to support new plans, programs, processes, products
- Assists in the formulation of strategies to achieve plan objectives; solicits inputs from stakeholders
- Evaluates procedures and processes regularly and determines/ recommends alternatives or improvements
- Contributes to market share growth and profitability by recommending routine changes to products, pricing, risk management and providing expertise in their respective discipline(s)
- Determines the integration and delivery of planned changes/projects/products to regions/field
- Understands and makes observations on market specific implications of business strategies
- Assures proper execution of regulatory/legislative practices for Product Management
- Adheres to internal and external compliance requirements/standards
- Functions as a liaison between business unit and systems or other areas of responsibility as required based on the projects they are assigned to
- Trains/coaches team members or peers and actively shares expertise with peers
- Analyze data and review analysis from others and identify and resolve basic to moderately complex data issues
- Serves as a subject matter expert for their respective discipline(s) from an internal perspective
- Leverages understanding of current industry and professional standards/ environment to impact decisions and indicate requirements
- May supervise one or more entry level quantitative analysts
- Bachelor's degree required - preferably in related field of study such as actuarial science, math/applied math, statistics/applied statistics, economics
- 3-5 years of property & casualty pricing experience
- Strong knowledge in the use of data sources and applications to conduct research
- Has an understanding of current industry and professional standards/ environment to impact decisions and indicate requirements
- Experience applying statistical modeling techniques such as logistic regression, GLM, lasso and ridge regression, random forest, GBM, etc. required
- Strong technical aptitude, such as programming experience with R, SQL, or Python required.
- Possesses intermediate working knowledge of policies and procedures in management or other technical fields
- Strong Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office; Advanced - Excel skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with multi-disciplinary groups and all organizational levels
- High level organizational and project management skills in order to handle multiple concurrent assignments in a timely manner
- Strong decision making skills
- Works effectively in a team environment
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top