Accountant, Investments External Reporting
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Investments External Reporting team is responsible for providing timely and accurate investment information to support external filings made by The Allstate Corporation.
The External Reporting Consultant is responsible for executing the day to day activities of the External Reporting team according to the controls in place. This includes preparing complex schedules that support external filings made by the company and performing analysis to identify and investigate unusual trends. The External Reporting Consultant is expected to manage their assignments based on prioritization and direction, and raise issues as appropriate. The External Reporting Consultant is expected to execute processes and procedures per the team's operational support documentation and identify when practice deviates from the documented process as well as have a basic understanding of the process and troubleshoot issues that arise. The External Reporting Consultant should also ensure responsibilities are being executed in accordance with the SOX controls and alert management of any deviations.
- Develop / prepare complex schedules that support external filings made by the Allstate Corporation. Examples of schedules may include:
- Investment position report (B1)
- Life and P&C investment cash flows analysis
- Fair value roll forward for Level 3 assets and Qualitative disclosure; FV footnote
- Schedule D review and analysis
- SIRI preparation and analysis
- Off balance sheet financial instruments
- Non-income producing assets
- Perform analysis (e.g., trend analysis, comparisons to prior periods, comparisons to expectations) on schedules that support external filings and work with other teams to identify / investigate unusual trends. Modify / correct schedules based on findings, if any
- Prepare journal entries to support the monthly and quarterly close; troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Prepare reconciliations to General Ledger
- Own and be accountable for execution of responsibilities
- Promote team culture and positively motivate colleagues to achieve optimal team performance
- Identify and execute process improvements
- Work collaboratively within the team and across the department to resolve data anomalies and research issues; begin to formulate proposed solutions to these issues
- Provide status to Supervisor
- Help coordinate and participate in team projects, assignments and team responsibilities such as continual process improvements, strengthening of controls and cross training
- Review documented procedures for accuracy/completeness, update as necessary
- Explore training opportunities to enhance knowledge, build reporting and analysis skills
- React to operational changes by formulating solutions and suggesting preventative measures to Supervisor
- Undergraduate degree in Finance or Accounting or relevant experience
- 2+ years of Accounting/Reporting experience
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel, Access and SAP skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Solid organizational and time management skills, ability to meet deadlines
- Flexible and able to adapt to changing circumstances
- Problem solving and decision making skills
- Recommends solutions in a logical and creative manner
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top