Senior Business Intelligence Engineer
San Francisco, CA | Engineering Team | Reports to Senior Manager, Software Engineering
Who is Allbirds?
At Allbirds, we believe in using business as a force for good. We’re a global footwear and apparel brand with roots in New Zealand and our headquarters in San Francisco. Since 2016, we’ve been on a mission to prove that comfort, design, and sustainability aren’t mutually exclusive. Our commitment to creating better things in a better way is fueled by a belief that the fashion industry needs to focus less on flash and more on thoughtfulness. And as a certified B Corp, we’re dedicated to making the most sustainable products we can using premium natural materials - designed for life’s everyday adventures.
Where we need help
We are growing fast and have a massive collection of data from disparate sources. We need someone to put thoughtful intention into translating this data into usable yet powerful interfaces for non-technical users. You’ll be the voice of the data product and be responsible for driving user adoption, helping Allbirds make better decisions in a better way.
What does the job entail?
- Design and implement data models using best practices for our business intelligence tool
- Optimize SQL performance and implement performance enhancements to get accurate and fast responses for end users
- Build clean, usable dashboards and visualizations for our business users
- Create wireframes and technical documentation to reach alignment across various stakeholders
- Build a data dictionary and create the central point for the entire company to align on key business definitions
- Write code for all parts of our data infrastructure, including ETL and manual scripts. This is a hands-on role.
- Be a champion for accurate, timely, well-structured data throughout the company
- Work closely with other teams like Supply Chain, Analytics, and Marketing to define user requirements
- Conduct user training and user testing sessions
What kind of person are we looking for?
- Customer-focused: You start by fully understanding the problem first and then work your way into the right solution
- Proven ability to write complex SQL queries and understand the tradeoffs of various implementations
- Well-versed in data warehousing architecture and data modeling best practices, including performance tuning techniques
- Excellent attention to detail in everything you touch - visualizations, code, and metric analysis.
- Superb, written communication skills, from writing technical documentation to obsessing over the name of a variable, to crafting the perfect labels for your charts and dashboards
- Strong sense of user empathy and awareness of your audience
- Strong engineering fundamentals. You look for opportunities to bring in solid engineering practices into everything you do.
- Flexible across the stack. While you are an expert in SQL & visualizations, you feel comfortable jumping into backend ETL jobs when necessary
- End-to-end ownership of your projects, from interviewing users, creating wireframes, writing the copy, implementing dashboards and visualizations, and monitoring/performance tuning after launch to ensure adoption
- You have strong opinions and can communicate them well. You also hear all sides of a debate and adapt to new perspectives that emerge from it.
More practical skills needed:
- 5+ years of experience as a data developer/analyst
- Expert SQL and data visualization skills
- Software engineering background with significant coding experience (java/scala, python, etc.)
- Experience with BI tools such as Looker, Tableau is a plus
- Experience developing and maintaining ETLs
- Experience with AWS or equivalent cloud technologies or have the aptitude to quickly learn them
What can we offer?
- Competitive salary + equity
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- 401k employer match
- Paid parental leave
- Fitness benefits
- Free shoes
- Pup friendly office!
Allbirds is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Allbirds policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits discrimination based on a perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.
Back to top