Who is Allbirds?
At Allbirds, we believe in using business as a force for good. We’re a global footwear and apparel brand with roots in New Zealand and our headquarters in San Francisco. Since 2016, we’ve been on a mission to prove that comfort, design, and sustainability aren’t mutually exclusive. Our commitment to creating better things in a better way is fueled by a belief that the fashion industry needs to focus less on flash and more on thoughtfulness. And as a certified B Corp, we’re dedicated to making the most sustainable products we can using premium natural materials - designed for life’s everyday adventures.
What does the job entail?
- Manage the conversion of an existing footwear model into a customized new model for partnerships and Energy launches.
- Learn the Allbirds inline product development calendar and apply creative adjustments for custom footwear projects to reduce timeline to launch.
- Propose material, component and construction options to Energy team to meet key aesthetic, feature and product performance goals.
- Engage in all phases of the product development process to ensure all projects are completed on time and can be mass produced, proven and tested and meet design intent as well as performance, costing and sustainability goals
- Execute prototypes from a project brief and a two-dimensional design rendering into a three-dimensional sample by referencing an existing footwear model and experimenting with adjustments to color, materials, components and fabrication methods.
- Manage the development process and sampling to meet the needs of the Energy team to be successfully commercialized and produced.
- Manage project information between Energy team and factory and ensure its accuracy and feasibility.
- Participate in meetings with US PD during all phases of the development process and execute the decision-making processes that lead to on-time product confirmation and sample delivery.
- Consistently review and evaluate project status with the US PD and Asia PD and factory to execute development according to critical dates.
- Ensure manufacturability of product concepts and utilize footwear fabrication knowledge to effectively and appropriately achieve project objectives.
- Select and use the most appropriate communication tools to successfully manage the product creation process from initial concept through to commercialization.
- Learn and use Asana, BOX, and other reporting tools for scheduling, development, tracking and daily communications with Asia PD & US PD.
- Apply fundamental understanding of footwear development best practices to identify product and testing requirements to assure product quality and performance.
- Work closely with factory development team members to translate Energy team design concepts into understandable product specifications.
- Assist in creation and adjustments to project tech packs to pass to appropriate suppliers for development.
- Assist PD as contact with overseas vendors, tier II & III suppliers as related to product development issues, providing solutions and conflict resolution where needed.
- Provide transparent and immediate communications to PD & factory PD regarding material suppliers and material development, MOQ’s, sampling protocols
- Track and manage prototypes, fit/weartest samples, marketing samples, and confirmation samples
- Assist factory team in defining and documenting procedures for production SOP’s.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Industrial Design, Engineering or a related field, OR technical footwear courses and 3 years of experience in product creation (development, product engineering, production, and/or R&D services, footwear factory, supplier operations)
- English skills required, Vietnamese, Chinese & Korean a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Clear understanding and working knowledge of the tools that support the product creation process in the areas of upper patterns, bottom tooling and manufacturing
- Demonstrated development and project management skills
- Ability to clearly articulate policies and instructions
- Demonstrated skills in problem solving and results orientation
What can we offer?
- Competitive salary + equity
- Medical insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Fitness benefits
- Discounted Products
Allbirds is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Allbirds policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits discrimination based on a perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.