Design Director, Footwear
- San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA | Product Design Team | Reports to the Head of Design
Who is Allbirds?
At Allbirds, we believe in using business as a force for good. We’re a global footwear and apparel brand with roots in New Zealand and our headquarters in San Francisco. Since 2016, we’ve been on a mission to prove that comfort, design, and sustainability aren’t mutually exclusive. Our commitment to creating better things in a better way is fueled by a belief that the fashion industry needs to focus less on flash and more on thoughtfulness. And as a certified B Corp, we’re dedicated to making the most sustainable products we can using premium natural materials - designed for life’s everyday adventures.
Where we need help
- Lead the design of Allbirds ‘lifestyle’ (not performance) footwear.
- Explore and develop new, future facing expressions of the Allbirds design philosophy.
- Diversify our design offering, build relevance and appeal to new audiences.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- Deep belief in 'making better things in a better way' and eager to embrace and evolve the Allbirds philosophy of pure, sustainable, future facing design.
- Great intuition, a leader and innovator in the field.
- Uses design as a tool for inspired problem solving, as a tool for activism maybe, but never just design for the sake of design, never just for ‘hype’.
- Comfortable managing multiple work streams, thinking strategically and holistically.
- Great collaborator, able to work within a team of creatives and also cross functionally with Product Development, Product Strategy & Merchandising, Sustainability and Innovation, Marketing, Supply Chain, etc.
- Not always behind a computer; just as comfortable solving problems through conversations, sketching, making, in the studio and in the sample room.
- Is flexible, able to work quickly and can manage ambiguity in a small, dynamic, fast growing start up environment.
What does the job entail?
- Work openly and collaboratively with a small passionate team of designers from diverse backgrounds including industrial, footwear, apparel, CMF and textile designers.
- Manage other designers and external consultants.
- Present and instruct designs and design refinements to the broader product team and manufacturing partners.
What can we offer?
- Competitive salary + equity
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- 401k employer match
- Paid parental leave
- Fitness benefits
- Special Employee Pricing
Allbirds is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Allbirds policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits discrimination based on a perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.
Back to top