Technical Writer - 31959
- Alexandria, VA
Writes, rewrites and/or edits technical documents such as technical procedure manuals, user manuals, programming manuals, service manuals, operational specifications, and related technical publications to communicate clearly and effectively technical specifications and instructions to a wide range of audiences. Acquires subject knowledge by interviewing product developers, observing performance of production methods, referring to technical specifications, blueprints, engineering illustrations, and trade journals. Oversees preparation of illustrative materials, selecting drawings, sketches, diagrams and charts. Conducts quality review of materials. Translates complex data into user-friendly text for print and electronic publications, such as technical journals, user and training manuals, government proposals, websites and podcasts. Gathers information through research, statistical reports and interviews with technical staff. Develops cataloging systems, and maintains records, files, electronic media and archiving of information for publications. Assists in preparing material for technical seminars and business forums. May be called upon to assist in technical or business presentations in such meetings as business or customer needs require. Selects or recommends use of layouts, graphics, drawings, tables, exhibits, illustrations, charts, or storyboards to amplify or clarify publications objectives.
- Produce content that conform to established guidelines and best practices.
- Proofreads and copyedits content for proper use of grammar, punctuation, and style guidelines.
- Conduct and accurately document research to support written content and verify the technical accuracy of any claims that are made, working with technical staff as appropriate.
- Assist in improving and documenting departmental processes and style guide.
- Manage own work schedule to complete assigned tasks on time.
- Participate in cross-department teams focused on product improvement.
- Maintain a knowledge base of accurate and approved content.
- Provide input to the visual communication of complex concepts and the layouts of documents and other materials.
- Develop SOPs and policies to include procedure steps, assignment of responsibility, expected durations, and task detail.
- Work with the technical support staff to capture and record all required detailed information needed to support the continuity plans.
- Coordinate layout and design of documents.
- Technical Writing experience.
- Ability to handle changing priorities and managing multiple projects and deadlines efficiently.
- Experience in performing technical planning, system integration, verification, validation, technical writing, costs & risk and supportability and effectiveness analysis at the system level.
- Experience with the preparation, review, revision, and maintenance of technical documents, including release notes, product documentation web site, and product user manual.
- Experience in writing and maintaining technical documentation to include installation, configuration and how-to documentation.
- Experience in creating and maintaining product user manuals and release notes.
- Experience with researching highly technical subject matter, organizing information from multiple sources, and expressing technical information in written form that is comprehensible to a wide audience of readers.
- Experience writing technical copy for various types of documents, such as but not limited to SOP and technical documents for the program or product.
- Experience applying concepts for technical writing based on engineering documentation, consultations with engineers and subject matter experts, and other available sources
Security Clearance: Top Secret
Back to top