Installation Tower Technician Lead - 33713
- Norfolk, VA
The NCTE/ACC Installation Tower Technician Lead is responsible for leading a team of 1-2 personnel (Tower Technicians) in the installation of NCTE/ACC equipment at host sites throughout the United States and selected international locations, according to pre-determined configurations and plans. The Tower Technician Team will focus primarily on tower and structure work including associated antenna/line work on towers and structures but will also support the other installation crews when no tower or structure work is scheduled. The Installation Tower Technician Lead will deal directly with the customer onsite and be required to interpret Installation Design Plans (CAD drawings) and implement the installation according to those plans, making local modifications where required and appropriate. Additionally, the Installation Tower Technician Lead will manage the day to day activities of 1-2 Installation Tower Technicians and ensure that NCTE/ACC installations are completed in a timely, consistent, high quality, and professional manner. This is a hands-on position; the Installation Tower Technician Lead is expected to work alongside Installation Tower Technicians to complete all tasking on time, and to take a primary role in terminating transmission lines. Finally, the Installation Tower Technician Lead must ensure that all installations are completed in accordance with relevant Navy instructions and security directives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively communicate and manage the day to day activity of 1-2 NCTE/ACC Installation Tower Technicians (1-2 personnel plus the lead him/herself).
- Develop and submit travel plans and requests for the Tower Technician Team including the lead him/herself, according to NSWC policy.
- Perform and thoroughly document daily Job Hazard Analysis (JHA), site walkthrough, and safety briefings with crew and others onsite. If more than one site is visited in a day, repeat this process at each site.
- Monitor and manage NCTE/ACC installation equipment, submitting bills of material for new items as required.
- Interpret drawing and designs and conduct NCTE/ACC installations at remote sites to include antenna, mount, and transmission line installations/replacements/removals and transmission line sweep testing. When not engaged in tower work, assist other install teams with rack/network/computer equipment installation, power connection, and cable fabrication, as assigned by the NSWC Installation Lead. Where required, modify planned installations to meet site specific requirements based upon understanding of tower industry and IT system principles.
- Conduct System Operational Verification Testing (SOVT) and quality control testing for completed installations.
- Manage return shipment of retrograde NCTE/ACC Equipment and tools to NCTE/ACC Warehouse, in collaboration with NCTE/ACC Logisticians.
- Revise Installation Design Plan drawings to reflect minor changes made during actual construction (i.e., provide as-built information to NCTE/ACC Draftsman).
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- 7 years of tower climbing and antenna/line work experience, along with experience in tower modifications, grounding and lightning protection installation; other tower site construction experience strongly preferred as well.
- 5 years of experience performing complex Information Technology (IT) system installations, to include network installation strongly preferred.
- 5 years of installation experience within a military or government context (can be concurrent with numbers 2 and/or 3 above).
- At least 3 years supervising a crew of tower technicians/climbers.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Work experience may be adjusted for highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience for positions involving new technology or labor market shortages as reflected by market survey data.
- Experience with conducting IT system installations in classified environments.
- Experience with Protected Distribution System installation is a significant benefit.
- Familiarity with US Navy EKMS devices is a significant benefit.
- OSHA 30-hr construction course completion strongly preferred; 10-hr construction course minimum required.
- CPR/AED/First Aid certified.
- Competent climber and competent rescuer certified. NWSA preferred.
- Competent rigger & hoist operator certified.
- Forklift and aerial lifts (manlifts) operator certified.
- Anritsu SiteMaster certification (or equivalent).
- Microwave pathing experience and/or certification strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to read, understand, and implement tower/antenna structure antenna/line systems and IT system installations based upon engineering level Installation Design Plan drawings.
- Advanced understanding of towers and antenna structures, specifically related to antenna/line systems required to support IT installations. This position also includes working with the concepts of electrical grounding, heat/power conversion, and IT system cooling principles and best practices when not engaged in tower work.
- Advanced understanding of grounding and lightning protection systems/applications for tower and antenna structure sites.
- Ability to correctly and successfully terminate fiber optic cable and copper Category 6 Ethernet cables.
- Knowledge of US Government TEMPEST regulations
- Knowledge of SECNAV INST M5510.36
- Familiarity with SPAWAR Shore Installation Process Handbook.
- Advanced knowledge of IT network installations, to include network design concepts; CISCO Certified Network Associate certification is a significant advantage, but not required.
- Excellent computer skills are an absolute must for emails, drawings, reports, documentation, etc.
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds, and work on ladders.
- Ability to travel extensively; 50-75% travel.
- Motivation and enthusiasm to successfully lead a team of 1-2 NCTE/ACC Installation Tower Technicians and delegate work to perform jobs safe, timely, and professional manner. Must be fit and in good physical condition.
Must be a US Citizen, able to obtain a Secret security clearance.
Security Clearance: Secret
Back to top