UNIX/LINUX Engineering Expert
- Warsaw, Poland
Alcon is the global leader in eye care, dedicated to helping people see brilliantly. With our 70-plus-year heritage, we are the largest eye care device company in the world - with complementary businesses in Surgical and Vision Care. Being a truly global company, we work in over 70 countries and serve patients in more than 140 countries.
Out of our competence center in Warsaw we support various IT sub functions: from ERP through Infrastructure Services or Commercial, Digital and Finance IT. Our main goal is to support Alcon transformation journey and build a strong organization that can quickly react to changing business environment. By joining our center in Warsaw you will become a part of the global Alcon IT Team - working closely with the stakeholders from all around the world.
Join Alcon and help the world See Brilliantly!
UNIX/LINUX Engineering Expert supports Svc/Sol Operations Manager in all occurring technical topics relating to the UNIX/Linux services for Alcon. He or she ensures normal services are restored as quickly as possible and adverse impact on operations due to incidents in IT environment is minimized. He or she is also responsible for Level 3/4 support for all Unix/Linux related issues. Monitors all events that occur in the enterprise IT environment to allow normal operations and to detect and escalate exception conditions. Ensures that Configuration Items (any component that needs to be managed in order to deliver the UNIX Service) are identified, accounted, reported, verified and audited.
How you will make a difference:
• Assisting in Level 1-3 support responsibilities and helpinng train lower level engineers/administrators including creation of Knowledge Articles and Platform technical documentation.
• Providing technical expertise for planning and defining upgrade requirements: performing feasibility and performance studies including benchmark, capacity planning, and sizing of Server architecture.
• Assisting/Leading in the implementation and design of new upgrades to Unix/Linux Infrastructure/systems.
• Delivering IT services, systems and applications to the business.
• Ensuring adherence to quality standards as defined by the IT Organization.
• Ensuring appropriate response to audit / ISRM assessment findings and recommendations.
• Defining an end-to-end provisioning process facilitating automation wherever possible.
• Performing patch management and image management activities.
• Participating in meetings with UNIX service customers to define new system requirements and providing recommendations based on experience, company policies and best practices.
• Ensuring standard build/image.
• Ensuring accurate provisioning and metering of services.
• Providing early feedback to development team on release issues.
• Ensuring that an up-to-date asset inventory for all technology assets is maintained and only authorized components are used.
• Ensuring adherence with Security and Compliance policies and procedures within Technical Operations service scope.
• Coordinating all configuration management database changes which directly or indirectly impact production services.
• Ensuring addition, modification or removal of any IT asset in a standard and controlled manner.
• Ensuring that CIs are identified, accounted, reported, verified and audited.
What we can offer you:
• Opportunity to work on best in class technology platforms and solutions, having the broad view on all the innovative tools used in Alcon globally.
• Opportunity to work in a high paced agile environment and the chance to work with people who are passionate of delivering outcomes and a culture of simplification and ownership.
• Empowerment to create and work on the solutions that will deliver the highest value.
• The real opportunity to share your knowledge & expertize, offer improvements and innovative solutions in various areas of our organization, based on your experience and market knowledge. We make sure the voice and ideas of our experts are heard.
• Ability to cross skill and grow or move (horizontally/vertically) within many different areas of the organization, according to your own professional interests and development plan.
• Truly international environment and daily interactions with colleagues from all over the world.
• Attractive benefits package, including private medical care, group insurance, lunch card, transportation allowance, pension plan, Multisport/cultural card, Alcon products for you and your significant other.
• Attractive compensation package (including bonus scheme).
• Flexible working hours and remote work possibilities.
• Brand new office with a lot of facilities inside, located at NewCity building, 15 Marynarska Street, Warsaw.
Minimum requirements & skills for success:
To be a successful candidate, you should have/be:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent years of applicable experience
• 5+ years of applicable experience.
• Fluid in aspects of LINUX operating system (RHEL and RHEL Satelite or/and SUSE and SUSE Manager).
• Knowledge of VMWare.
• Scripting automation skills - Perl, ksh, and bash.
• Ability to fluently read, write, understand and communicate in English.
Back to top