Sr. Dir Comms, Commercial Excellence
Provide strategic oversight of all communications for the Commercial Excellence organization that includes the Surgical and Vision Care Franchises, R&D and Alcon's 5 regions of the world. Ensure the Division's strategy, goals and culture are clearly understood and embraced by all stakeholder groups – including the global associate population and external stakeholders. Develop and manage a relevant content strategy to support global Alcon message platforms. Drive content creation across internal, external, digital and brand channels in support of the Division Corporate Communications annual plan. Responsible for representing the voice of the business and translating strategy into effective executive communications content. Serve as lead for C-suite communications working closely with the Head, Global Communications. Serve as the global communications strategist for the COO, and leads the Commercial Excellence Communications team that includes the Global Franchises, R&D and North America, LACAR, Asia, Japan and EMEA. A critical senior member of the Communications Leadership Team, a trusted team member for the Head, Global Communications, an influential Divisional representative for Novartis Communications matters, and an active member of the Alcon Operating Committee.
- Strategically and transparently, communicate business content working closely with subject matter experts to enhance and protect the Division corporate brand and reputation. Ensure that Commercial Excellence channel communications (internal, external, digital and brand) optimally reflect the strategy, priorities, and culture of the Division.
- Central source for generation of global messaging for cascade to the functions and regions across the Division globally. Remain closely aligned with the business at both a global and regional level in order to produce the most relevant and accurate messaging. Serve as a single point of contact for regional communications programs to leverage regional programs Alcon-wide maximizing best practices, obtaining economies of scale and identifying risks that affect the entire enterprise. Regularly update the Head, Global Communications on communications themes, issues and best practices across the entity.
- Maintains the Alcon editorial plan on content priorities for the year. Create and maintain tools to facilitate content creation and impact tracking (e.g. News Flow tool, Message Trails, Tiered content approach).
- Provide governance to support agile, fast and high-quality content creation. Develop KPIs to measure progress.
- Identify gaps in resourcing to support major initiatives.
- Primary source for generation and delivery support of communications for the C-suite including, but not limited to:
o Partners with Division and Strategic Advisors, Operating Committee, and/or relevant steering committees in developing content and implementation plans related to business results, organization events, and/or critical initiatives /deliverables
o Direct content strategies and messaging to support delivery of all internal communications including, but not limited to, town halls, blogs, organization announcements, etc. Partner with Director, Internal Communications, to ensure Divisional consistency of message platforms and foster better company-wide alignment and strategic messaging. Stay actively involved in the state-of-the-business to drive associates' engagement levels and determine needs in order to generate relevant messaging.
o In partnership with Director, External Communications, support and coordinate external media relations, speaking opportunities, and issues management to support Division priorities, protect Division's reputation, and provide an appropriate level of visibility and leadership.
o Leverage Director, Digital Communications and Brand, to utilize company-wide communication vehicles and channels that effectively keep the stakeholders well informed. Seek to use creative channels that have applicability across all functions and regions.
- Serve in a leadership role working within the Communications function to ensure team members have the information they need to deliver on our priorities, and that they are motivated and engaged high-performing contributors. Allow them to champion the communications strategies and implementation of communications platforms within their functions/regions while supporting them with global direction and strategic advice.
- Serve as back-up to the Head, Global Communications on Division and enterprise matters as needed; includes representing the Division on enterprise-wide Novartis committees, programs, or messaging as needed. Maintain close strategic partnership with External, Internal and Digital and Brand Communications leadership to ensure alignment across all Division communications.
- Effectively handle all escalated concerns and feedback on Commercial Excellence communications in a timely and constructive manner. Counsel direct reports on resolving any escalated executive-level needs and engage in the resolution as appropriate.
- Build a strong cross-divisional network of communicators in order to stay current on Corporate messaging for cascade to the Division. Keep Novartis Group communications team aware of key Divisional activities pertaining to the Commercial Excellence organization.
- Champion the corporate brand through exemplifying the use of brand standards in all communication platforms delivered globally across the Division.
- Allocate communication resources and personnel to meet business objectives and coordinate communication teams to ensure implementation of strategy/action plans.
- Lead and build the communications strategy and capabilities and manage risk to Novartis reputation; advise division management of reputational risk associated with specific activity.
- Counsel senior management in all aspects of communications, select media spokespeople, conduct media training, and develop communications messages around key programs and initiatives.
- Build, monitor and evaluate the Function's performance to achieve and maintain best-in-class performance, while being fully consistent with the evolving legal, regulatory and compliance environment.
- Oversee the development, review and approval of divisional Communications policies and procedures, and monitor implementation, ensuring alignment with Group Communications strategy and policies.
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. As part of the Novartis Group of Companies, Alcon takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment and our policies are not to discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Alcon is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Minimum requirements •Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in a related discipline such as corporate communications, public relations or marketing communications
- 12 years of relevant experience in the field of corporate communications to include up to 10 years of demonstrated leadership
- Demonstrated outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal
- Proficiency in spoken and written English; second language is a plus
- Must show a strong grasp of Division vision, priorities, and culture and reflect them in all communications
- Must be able to handle pressure situations, demonstrating an excellent sense of judgment
Meet Some of Alcon's Employees
Director, Regional Sales
Kristen oversees the entire 50-person Regional Sales Team for Alcon’s cataracts business in America. She helps handle products and services associated with the surgical side of operations.
Back to top