Principal Optical and Visualization Engineer
•The Principal Optical and Visualization Engineer has in-depth knowledge in the surgical instrumentation domain and is a subject matter expert across a range of engineering disciplines such as Laser and Electro-Optical, Optical, Electrical, Mechanical, and Software.
- The Engineer will possess a deep understanding of architecture design, requirements and risk management, medical device V&V, reprocessing, and single-use devices.
- Proficiency with industry standard tools and methods for optical and electro-optical systems engineering is essential.
- The Principal Engineer is a technical leader for the organization and mentors peers about the domain and related technology.
- Independently makes decisions on complex issues affecting the team.
- The Principal Engineer is an expert in wide range of disciplinary areas such that it is second nature to make design trade-offs and partition product requirements across multiple disciplines.
- This position displays technical leadership skills to guide larger cross-functional technical teams.
- Displays effective technical leadership skills to guide a large cross-functional team during the product development process.
- Derive a systems design, e.g. in the form of architecture definition including platform concepts where needed, based on top level commercial requirements.
- Requirements definition and management.
- Design and modeling of optical and optoelectronic systems.
- Interface definition and control
- Lead Risk Management by developing Risk Matrix to identify all applicable project hazards and risks.
- Identify project schedule or commercial viability risks.
- Contribute to patent portfolio and strategy development.
- Develop a systems integration plan.
- Develop error and tolerance budgets.
- Systems V&V strategy.
- Run cross-functional trade-off reviews, and drive to design decisions.
- Human factors engineering (e.g. establish usability file).
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. As part of the Novartis Group of Companies, Alcon takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment and our policies are not to discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Alcon is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information
alrpo EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Minimum requirements •PhD in Physics, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or similar disciplines, with 8+ years of relevant experience, or MS with 12+ years of experience.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills are required.
- Participated in all medical device product development process phases (concept to product launch & lifecycle mgt), preferably in systems engineering or program management role
- Ophthalmic domain knowledge (cataract, vit/ret, refractive surgeries; or diagnostics), Optics, Opto-mechanics, Opto-electronics, Image Processing, Mechanics, Electronics, Firmware, & Software
- Requirements engineering/mgt experience & use of according tools (DOORS, Polarion, etc.)
- Proven system-level solutions
- Proficient in Risk Management according to ISO 14971
- Solid understanding of design controls: 21 CFR 820 or ISO 13485
- Experience with vendor/supplier management of complex sub-systems or OEM
- Ability to lead small team of engineers
- Effective leadership skills, able to influence cross-functional team across dotted reporting lines to find best solutions for systems design & requirements of complex surgical & diagnostic instruments
- Driven to make measured & risk-conscious design decisions
Meet Some of Alcon's Employees
Director, Regional Sales
Kristen oversees the entire 50-person Regional Sales Team for Alcon’s cataracts business in America. She helps handle products and services associated with the surgical side of operations.
Back to top