Principal Engineer - Packaging
•Lead technical activities associated with package development for Surgical R&D projects/programs (Core Team member/sub-team lead.)
- Design, plan, execute and analyze results of experiments, package designs and packaging processes including liquid device primary package/delivery system (e.g. Ophthalmic Viscosurgical Device, Surgical Sealants…)
- Act as Technical Lead (or sub-team lead) for IOL R&D package development including primary package for liquid devices such as Ophthalmic Surgical Devices (OVD), irrigating solutions, surgical sealants… Communicate and collaborate within R&D and with key stakeholders cross-functionally or cross-divisionally to achieve project deliverables.
- Design and evaluate the performance of product packaging including multicomponent and novel package systems including those for liquid devices.
- Responsible for developing and executing standard, novel, or complex test methods or procedures to evaluate the performance of product packaging deviation.
- Analyze and summarize data from multiple studies/sources to drive decision making and achieve deliverables. Document design requirements for product packaging from development through product launch.
- Generate technical documents necessary to communicate progress and document protocols, experimental results, design performance, and support Product Development, Regulatory filings, and post-production product and manufacturing support.
- Establish external contract design, development and/or consulting contacts to improve internal capabilities or achieve project deliverables (when necessary.)
- Consistently demonstrate quality scientific/engineering leadership.
- Troubleshoot complex packaging problems and develop technical solutions which require the regular use of ingenuity, creativity, and team coordination across functions.
- Develop new packages following Usability and Human Factor Engineering standards and FDA guidance, and applying best practices.
- File memoranda of invention and support patent filings on discoveries and innovations developed during the course of work.
- Remain abreast of packaging industry standards (ISO, ASTM, USP…) and best practices and monitor the field for new developments in packaging and manufacturing technology to solve challenging package/product delivery issues and support new product development.
- Mentor co-workers within the function and routinely provide guidance to others on multiple projects across the Franchise.
- Ensure that all necessary training to perform the duties of the position including, but not limited to Quality System Manual Procedures, Unit Standard Operating Procedures, Safety Procedures, Corporate Procedures for Record Retention, Program Planning, and individual specific training needs are satisfactorily completed.
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. As part of the Novartis Group of Companies, Alcon takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment and our policies are not to discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Alcon is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Minimum requirements •Alcon US Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in EngineeringMaster’s Degree in Packaging desirable
- Fluency in English essential
- Alcon US Minimum Requirements:
- 6 years directly related experience.
- 10+ years of packaging experience developing packaging solutions in the Medical Device or Pharmaceutical industry desirable.
- Experience with liquid device packaging/delivery (e.g.Surgical sealant, Surgical adhesives, Antiadhesion barrier liquids and gels, IV fluid packaging, Ophthalmic viscosurgical devices, Ophthalmic irrigating solutions, Retinal tamponades
Meet Some of Alcon's Employees
Director, Regional Sales
Kristen oversees the entire 50-person Regional Sales Team for Alcon’s cataracts business in America. She helps handle products and services associated with the surgical side of operations.
Back to top