This position is responsible for independently providing a large range of IP patent prosecution tasks and providing some supervision and coaching to Patent Paralegals and new team members.
• Proactively and independently fulfil patent filing and prosecution administrative tasks (e.g. review, analyze and manage forthcoming deadlines / settle deadlines / maintain state of the art literature lists / review and process daily mail).
• Independently draft standard and large variety of non-standard/more detailed responses to patent agents with limited attorney input.
• Provide some supervision of non-standard responses to Patent Paralegals.
• Assist patent attorneys in more complex prosecution tasks with limited attorney input, such as patent amendments and responses.
• Detect and communicate data inconsistencies according to set guidelines and rules, analyze and report finding and propose solutions to manager.
• Ability to guarantee continuity of Patent Services procedures in absence of supervisor.
• Ability to analyse and adapt processes in order to improve efficiency etc., and identify those IP administrative procedures in need of review.
• Actively propose, lead and participate in team and Patent Services cross-team projects as a representative of the team and provide deliverables on an agreed timeline.
• Participate in writing of SOPs.
• Organize and proactively coordinate attorney work relating to patent applications.
• Take ownership and overall responsibility for the completeness and correctness of patent application files.
• Ensure consistent back-up/cover service is provided to attorneys.
• Participate in the introduction of new Patent Services employees.
• Participate in on-boarding of new attorneys, i.e. full brief on Patent Services role and support provided by patent prosecution services team.
• Provide some professional mentoring to Patent Paralegal.
• Provide input to Services team training courses as well as role development.
• Ability to lead some workshops relating to IP administrative procedures and training of Services Team.
• Act as deputy to manager in cases of absence for coordination/leading of meetings, workload distribution in unplanned absences etc.
• Understanding of patent docketing, document storage, foreign filing tasks and ability to assist teams.
• Develops further knowledge of foreign filing requirements.
• High School diploma or equivalent with Paralegal Certificate
• Fluent in English
• Relevant Legal/Contract Management experience preferred
• Three years relevant experience
Fort Worth, TX
Legal & Intellectual Property & Compliance
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Meet Some of Alcon's Employees
Sr. BPA Analyst
Jose enables Alcon to carry out big-picture plans by crunching numbers for global business planning. He helps the company understand where it is and where it can go.
Back to top