Lead Engineer – Automation
•The objective of this role is to provide engineering expertise for Alcon Vision Care Research and Development in the fields of automation and controls for the development of DSM (double-sided molding) mold handling system, lens casting equipment, thermal/UV curing ovens, mechanical de-molder and delenser, extraction/hydration/coating tank system, lens cosmetic inspection equipment, and lens packaging machine.
- The position is accountable for the development of novel and differentiated Contact Lens DSM technology.
- Design, source, and develop pilot and production scale DSM platforms
- Define URS on equipment automation and controls, and interface with the vendors on DSM equipment development for pilot prototyping and production scaling-up
- Develop novel automation and control methods to improve the quality and productivity of DSM platforms
- File all new concepts including designs, fabrication, and testing through invention disclosures and support patent filings as required to protect intellectual property
- Provide timely communication on planned and completed work to the project & functional team members and leadership through written reports and presentations
- Study process induced variations that impact lens CTQs and implement robust process control to ensure consistent production of high quality contact lenses
- Develop and maintain detailed documentation on process development, process boundary, process capability, process qualification, and process validation to meet Novartis/Alcon guidelines and regulatory (FDA) requirements
- Carry out root cause analysis (RCA) to identify fundamental factors that impact the quality and performance of the production line.
- Develop and implement lasting solutions, including corrective and preventive actions
- Implement six-sigma methodology and lean processes concepts to facilitate systematic analysis, data driven decision making, and rapid implementation of breakthrough and incremental solutions projects
- Carry out process design, scale up, process control, and process optimization to improve manufacturing efficiencies.
- Design experiments, prepare test materials, carry out tests, analyze data, prepare reports and present results
- Partner with manufacturing teams on the successful technology transfer and production ramp up
- Comply with company, state and federal guidelines on Health, Safety and Environment and operational requirements Develop external network of collaborators and industrial partners and actively monitor competitor activities and patents for significant technical developments relevant to contact lens DSM lens making equipment, automation and controls.
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. As part of the Novartis Group of Companies, Alcon takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment and our policies are not to discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Alcon is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information
alrpo EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Minimum requirements •BS in engineering field is required, MS in engineering field is preferred
- Proficient in the English language, both written and verbal
- 8 plus years post MS degree, or 10 plus years post BS degree of industrial work experience in the area of automation and controls is required.
- Hands-on experience in large scale equipment design, automation and controls is a must.
- Extensive hands-on experience in PLC and HMI Programming, Automation Designs and Application, PFDs and P&IDs, AutoCAD, Pro/E or SolidWorks is required
- Good technical communication skills
Meet Some of Alcon's Employees
Director, Regional Sales
Kristen oversees the entire 50-person Regional Sales Team for Alcon’s cataracts business in America. She helps handle products and services associated with the surgical side of operations.
Back to top