Director Sr. Legal Counsel - Corporate Securities and Transactions
Novartis AG recently announced its intent to seek shareholder approval to spin-off its Alcon division as an independent public company, likely listed in the U.S. on the NYSE stock exchange. As a newly public company, Alcon, the global leader in eye care, intends to build an internal securities compliance regime, and is seeking an experienced and proficient corporate securities/transactional attorney to: (i) provide high quality technical legal support in substantive areas of complex U.S. corporate securities matters, including securities regulatory compliance and public securities filings and debt and equity securities offerings, and strategic global transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, inbound and outbound licensing of technology and intellectual property, research and develop agreements and collaborations, and venture capital transactions (collectively, the "Subject Matter Areas"), while continuing to develop high-level expertise in the Subject Matter Areas; (ii) act as a strategic partner to business leaders on issues arising within the Subject Matter Areas, driving business solutions linked to expertise in the field; and (iii) manage and lead one or more teams of legal support professionals.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Provide substantive legal counsel to Alcon Business Development & Licensing ("BD&L"), Global Franchises and Alliance Management teams, Alcon senior management and the Alcon Legal function as a whole with respect to strategic global transactions in the Subject Matter Areas.
• Provide substantive legal counsel to senior management on issues related to corporate securities offerings, insider trading policies, public company governance, and public securities regulatory filings and other requirements, including assisting with the initial set-up of a securities compliance regime for a newly public company.
• Provide high quality support as Lead Counsel throughout the life of each transaction in the Subject Matter Areas, including due diligence, negotiation, approval, execution, integration and contract management.
• Support the Head Legal - Global Transactions in achieving the Global Transactions team objectives;
• Train and advise management on new legal trends and legislation in the Subject Matter Areas;
• Directly provide legal and strategic advice for the Subject Matter Areas;
• Instruct and supervise external law firms providing advice to Alcon Division on the Subject Matter Areas;
• Counsel senior-level executives and business teams within other functions on matters related to the Subject Matter Areas;
• Manage and provide leadership for one or more teams of legal support professionals, managing their workload and developing the associates in their particular areas of focus;
• Responsible for development of and counsel on appropriate company policies in connection with Subject Matter Areas; and
• Work within Integrity and Compliance policies and counsel those around him/her to do the same.
Relocation Assistance May Be Available
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
• Law degree and license to practice law in relevant jurisdiction
• Minimum: 6 years post Bar experience required, ideally of which minimum 5 years of experience handling major corporate transactions and/or public corporate securities matters, and 3 years of experience within a healthcare, pharmaceutical, or medical device company or representing such clients in a top tier law firm.
• Experience in public corporate securities matters, including public debt and equity securities offerings, public securities regulatory filings, and public company governance, and current knowledge of U.S. securities laws.
• Language: Excellent written and verbal English skills
Back to top