Associate Director - Software Engineering
Team leader responsible for the development and documentation of complex Windows applications embedded in state-of-art ophthalmic surgical devices. These devices incorporate multiple real time and non-real time processors communicating over a common bus. Windows used to implement functionality including GUI, database, business logic, and external networking.
Plans, conducts, and directs one or more software development projects of major importance to Alcon's long-term future, which are difficult and complex in nature. Participate in all phases of the software lifecycle, including concept development, requirements, design, implementation, and testing.
In this position you will gain an in-depth understanding of the anatomy, physiology, and pathology of the eye.
• Leads highly skilled software development team toward successful project and product delivery.
• Provides technical and professional leadership through coaching and mentorship.
• Applies and develops complex highly advanced technologies, scientific principles, theories and concepts.
• Often acts independently to uncover and resolve problems associated with the development and implementation of operational programs. Plan R&D programs and recommends technological application programs to accomplish long-range objectives. Work is checked only to the effectiveness of results obtained, typically requiring a long time perspective. Virtually self-supervisory.
• Attends, participates in or assists in surgical procedures within applicable legal limits.
• Strategic and/or management interface.
• Supports engineering decision making by providing advice and recommendations to global project teams. Develop concepts and propose approach, to address identified ophthalmic medical device/science/technology needs.
• Research and identify unmet medical needs.
• Supply technical advice and counsel to other professionals and represent the organization in outside discussions and technical forums.
• Provides leadership direction, determining and developing approach to solutions by coordinating multiple resources to solve complex problems.
• Lead design reviews, assign and review action items or delegate these tasks.
• Ensure regulatory / statutory / legislative compliance for all project work.
• Act as a mentor in the engineering organization may direct the activities of senior technical professionals to accomplish objectives.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent years of directly related experience (high school +15 yrs; Assoc.+11 yrs; M.S.+4 yrs; PhD+3 yrs)
• The ability to fluently read, write, understand and communicate in English
• 7 Years of Relevant Experience
• 5 Years of Demonstrated Leadership Experience.
• Increasingly responsible background in organization building of a scientific/technical function, and accomplishments in positions of leadership. • Capability of motivating high performing teams cross-functionally while driving to achieve strategic and business goals.
• Solid knowledge of WPF, .NET frameworks, C# and C++.
• Familiarity with hardware design constraints as applied to software interfaces.
• Demonstrated ability to independently research technical issues and generate creative/innovative solutions.
• Project management expertise with proven results in multiple areas
• Excellent leadership skills and ability to effect change.
• Ability to develop/implement advanced processes and techniques related to product development and/or critical systems.
• Ability to successfully interact with senior personnel on complex and/or significant technical matters,
• 7+ years hands-on work experience related to prior ophthalmic Windows software development technology achievements.
Back to top