Assoc Director, IOL Calculation Svc
The purpose of the role is to plan, drive and execute the Alcon intraocular lens (IOL) power calculation process to provide calculation assistance in response to unsolicited requests from North American Alcon customer base and to assist in manufacturing investigation related to reports of unexpected outcomes in compliance with local medical, legal, regulatory and commercial regulations, standards, guidelines and applicable directives. Provide critical support to Medical Product Information and Patient Safety / Complaint Handling teams as the liaison for IOL related questions and power calculations. Respond to unsolicited escalated surgeon inquiries regarding Alcon IOLs. Supply technical input and support as required for department initiatives. Foster and champion a quality culture and mind set to develop and maintain a sustainable and compliant IOL power calculation system through collaboration with Legal and Compliance that is consistently applied in all circumstances.
- Perform routine primary IOL power calculations in response to unsolicited requests for assistance from Alcon surgeons/customers.
- Perform complex / secondary IOL power calculations including piggyback, sulcus placement, post refractive, etc., in response to unsolicited requests for assistance from Alcon surgeons/customers.
- Perform reverse IOL power calculations for received complaints as part of the QA/manufacturing investigation for reported unexpected outcomes using an Alcon IOL and report results back to lead investigator.
- Reply to unsolicited requests for information from eye care professionals regarding calculation-related medical information. Respond to escalated surgeon inquiries regarding Alcon surgical IOL product portfolio.
- Report all product complaints and adverse events received from communications with external customers per company guidelines.
- Responsible for monitoring and analyzing inquiry trends on Alcon IOL products related to calculations using metrics and notifying management for possible corrective action. Review, understand, and translate critical or repetitive requests and issues into recommendations for labeling and package improvements.
- Research responses to questions regarding the use of various IOL calculators and formulae, websites, and discussions with IOL experts to develop and maintain a library of technical inquiries and approved responses for IOL use. • Maintain expertise and knowledge of ophthalmic surgical procedures, including Alcon and competitive IOL surgical devices.
- Provide IOL product training and correspondence to internal Alcon departments as needed. Conduct or organize workshops and training sessions for Alcon associates including Global Quality Surveillance and Customer Affairs.
- Accountable for accurate and adequate recording of all professional interactions in the Alcon Medical Information database to meet the applicable regulatory, legal, and corporate policies, procedures, standards, and regulations (FDA, GMP, ISO, MDD).
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. As part of the Novartis Group of Companies, Alcon takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment and our policies are not to discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Alcon is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Minimum requirements Bachelor's degree in science and technology and equivalent years of experience is required. O.D. is strongly preferred.
English fluently spoken & written
At least 7 years of experience in IOL calculations, cataract surgery, or cataract co-management experience
Meet Some of Alcon's Employees
Director, Regional Sales
Kristen oversees the entire 50-person Regional Sales Team for Alcon’s cataracts business in America. She helps handle products and services associated with the surgical side of operations.
Back to top