Advanced Manufacturing Life Cycle Engineer Lead
Building on its heritage of more than 65 years, Alcon, the global leader in eye care, is a division of the Novartis Group with combined pro-forma sales of more than USD 6 billion in 2012. The division was formed by Novartis on April 8, 2011, following the closing of the merger between Alcon and Novartis. The new Alcon Division combines the product portfolios, commercialization capabilities, R&D and talent of Alcon, CIBA VISION and Novartis Ophthalmics. Today, Alcon has its headquarters in Fort Worth, Texas, U.S.A. Alcon's three businesses - Surgical, IOL's and Vision Care - meet the diverse needs of eye care professionals and patients offering the widest spectrum of eye care products with operations in 75 countries and products available in 180 markets. For more information, visit www.alcon.com.
- The Advanced Manufacturing Life Cycle Engineering Lead manages 5-8 Lifecycle Engineers (Product Stewards).
- In this role this individual will organize and review the status of all of the product lines and any lifecycle issues such as Business Continuity, End of Life, Line Down, and Customer Facing Quality.
- Acts as and or leads Lifecycle Engineering participation as the earliest team member on new product or line extension development programs. Provides input to the design for manufacturability, end of life forecast, end of life maintenance projects, verification and validation.
- Acts as and or leads Lifecycle Engineers and Subject Matter Expert (Technical Stewards) to solve complex engineering problems as they pertain to quality, production yield, cost, or reliability.
- Identifies, creates plans, defines scope, provides financial justification, and drives execution of solutions to complex quality, production, cost, supplier, and reliability problems as they affect manufacturing. Responsible for project management & planning and for liaising with other departments/plants affected on process and equipment related projects. Responsible for reporting project status to management and highlighting areas of concern early. Responsible for planning and managing projects to ensure effective utilization of resources and for liaising with R&D and other facilities to develop and introduce new products and processes.
- Ensures robust acceptance criteria and evaluation criteria are established for each phase of the problem solution and translation into the manufacturing environment.
- Responsible for and leads Lifecycle Engineering for putting effective CAPAs in place for compliance actions within the agreed timeline.
- Maintain the life cycle of all the products for their production and service life through the Lifecycle Engineers throughout the plant.
- Responsible for ensuring all work adheres to HS&E requirements.
- Responsible to perform technical feasibility trials related to process improvement and implementation of new manufacturing technologies.
- Monitors new product development and becomes the product subject matter expert after design or technical transfer.
- Initiation and management of change requests as described in standard operating procedures.
Our generous benefits package includes the Novartis Investment Savings 401(k) Plan which provides a company contribution of up to 6%. In addition, after one year of service, employees are eligible for the Alcon Retirement Plan (ARP), to which Alcon contributes 6% of eligible pay. By combining the Company's contributions to the 401(k) and ARP, employees can receive up to 12% of eligible pay from Alcon towards retirement. Alcon also offers a premier level of coverage for medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverage, an on-site fitness center and much more. Consider having all this in a fast paced environment within a stable world-class organization.
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Minimum requirements •Engineering Degree & 10 years relevant experience.
- Project or Functional management experience over a group of 3-5 engineers.
- Background in manufacturing and fabrication processes such as electro-optical consumable, medical device, assembly and test, sheet metal, machining, injection molding, pneumatics, fluidics and optics in the medical device industry is preferred.
- Knowledge of Design for Manufacturability concepts, strong written and verbal communication skills, mechanical design experience, GD&T, PRO-E (or similar), inspection processes and equipment along with the ability to work in cross functional teams are required to succeed in this role.
- Additional strengths should include strong initiative, critical thinking skills and understanding of medical device manufacturing and compliance.
- Project management skills including: 1) writing proposal with resource and cost justification, 2) project scheduling with Gantt and PERT techniques, 3) team level management, 4) cost of goods management, and 5) specification management (component to system level).
- Risk management as it applies to cost and timeline.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with team members, management, and executive staff.
- Ability and comfort working in matrix resources.
- Deep subject matter expertise in a specific discipline including: high volume production tooling, high mix, medium volume complex electro-optical systems.
Meet Some of Alcon's Employees
Sr. BPA Analyst
Jose enables Alcon to carry out big-picture plans by crunching numbers for global business planning. He helps the company understand where it is and where it can go.
Back to top