Sr. Software Engineer - Event Platform
- Redwood City, CA
Alation continues to hire for roles at various locations with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19 crisis. Everyone new to the Alation team, along with our current workforce, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
Alation pioneered the data catalog market and today is leading its evolution into a platform for a broad range of data intelligence solutions including data search & discovery, data governance, and digital transformation. Nearly 200 enterprises drive data culture, improve decision making, and realize business outcomes with Alation. For more information, visit https://www.alation.com/
The Platform Team at Alation works to increase the productivity of all of engineering by building re-usable infrastructure, frameworks and tooling so that feature teams can focus on shipping features.
As part of making our data catalog a platform for data consumption we’re going to move to an event driven architecture. All object types and features will publish events that internal and external consumers can subscribe to. This project would involve setting up the infrastructure as well as unifying several existing ways of handling events. It will be a cross org effort.
You would also contribute to other platform areas in addition to this primary initiative.
We want to talk to you if you…
- Are goal oriented and measure your success through impact
- Love breaking complex systems into simple re-usable abstractions
- Have experience working on or moving to an event driven architecture
- Have experience with Kafka, ActiveMQ or similar
- Have experience building web applications end to end
- Have a CS undergrad degree and at least 7 years experience working as a software engineer
- Have experience with the rest of our stack, Python, Django, Docker, Postgres - this is a plus!
Here’s what you will be doing...
- Moving our app to an event driven architecture by standing up the event bus and interfaces clients will use
- Building a framework to abstract the differences between all types of objects we catalog so that client teams can consume generic events
- Working with client teams to move existing applications and develop new ones on top of the event bus
- Building webhooks that our customers and partners will use to add solutions on top of our data catalog
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
For information about company benefits, please visit https://www.ibenefitsapp.com/alation2020. Password is Alation20.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!
Back to top