Software Engineer - Search
- Redwood City, CA
Alation continues to hire for roles at various locations with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19 crisis. Everyone new to the Alation team, along with our current workforce, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
Alation pioneered the data catalog market and today is leading its evolution into a platform for a broad range of data intelligence solutions including data search & discovery, data governance, and digital transformation. Nearly 200 enterprises drive data culture, improve decision making, and realize business outcomes with Alation. For more information, visit https://www.alation.com/
The Search team is tasked with empowering people to find the data they need. We want to make searching Alation the first thing someone does when they want to find data. We own the search at Alation end to end including the infra, relevance, and the user interfaces.
We have just completed a redesign of our search interface and our upcoming work is focused on improvements to the search ranking algorithm, scaling search to handle more updates and users and other improvements to the experience like suggesting filters, spell check, etc.
We are looking for a full stack developer since the team owns the search end to end. However the bulk of work will likely be backend so a strong backend developer willing to learn as needed is the ideal candidate.
We want to talk to you if you...
- Have a CS undergrad degree and at least a year of experience working as a software engineer
- Are goal oriented and measure your success through impact
- Have experience building web applications end to end
- Have experience with the rest of our stack, Python, Django, Elasticsearch, Postgres, React, Redux - this is a plus!
Here's what you'll be doing...
- Updating the search infra for our company wide move to the cloud and make it scale to 100x the current usage and updates.
- Working with our amazing product and design team to build a search experience that simplifies the complexity of searching across all of an organization’s data assets
- Building a search query auto suggest feature
- Making search at Alation an extensible application that other teams can easily use to surface the content they are adding to the catalog
- Improving on search relevance using re-ranking, query understanding, semantic similarity, etc.
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
For information about company benefits, please visit https://www.ibenefitsapp.com/alation2020. Password is Alation20.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!
Back to top