Lead Product Designer - Data Governance
- Redwood City, CA
Alation continues to hire for roles at various locations with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19 crisis.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data, so they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
More than 250 enterprises drive data culture, improve decision making, and realize business outcomes with Alation, including AbbVie, American Family Insurance, Cisco, Exelon, Finnair, Munich Re, New Balance, Pfizer, Scandinavian Airlines, and US Foods. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list and is backed by leading venture capitalists including Blackstone, Costanoa, Data Collective, Dell Technologies, Icon, ISAI Cap, Riverwood, Salesforce, Sanabil, Sapphire and Snowflake Ventures.
With more than $217M in funding - valued at $1.2 billion, Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Our exceptional Glassdoor ratings reflect a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
As a Lead Product Designer in the data governance space, you’ll help solve some of the most challenging and complex problems facing companies today. You’ll design new ways to improve data consistency, trustworthiness and security to ensure that people can use their data with confidence.
Data governance is fundamental at any organization to ensure the quality, compliance, and protection of data. Yet, data governance initiatives regularly fail due to the time and manual effort required for effective data operations. The Alation Data Governance App supports enterprises on their data governance journey with its people-centric approach. It utilizes machine learning and automation to accelerate and scale data governance while removing the drudgery of data stewardship processes.
Deep experience in data platforms isn’t required, but experience in building collaborative or workflow-oriented applications (such as CRM, content management, finance or planning software) is essential. You should also have experience in developing design systems, accessibility practices, and processes that support the wider design team.
Our Product Design team is a tight-knit, collaborative group. We take our team values seriously — they are a huge part of what makes this a great place to work. Take a look and see if they feel like a good fit for you. You can learn more about us at our design team site: www.alation.design
Please include a portfolio when applying.
What you'll be doing:
- Conduct competitive and primary research to understand the product space, specifically what users need to be successful.
- Work closely with product managers to illustrate and define our product vision and strategy, and to deliver the company strategy to our users.
- Collaborate closely with product managers, other designers, and engineers on projects that reach across the platform.
- Design experiences that are as thoughtful and easy to use as any consumer-facing experience would be. We pride ourselves on building an experience a novice can use without training, but that is even more powerful in the hands of an expert.
- Mentor, teach and coach other designers, helping us grow our team’s skillset and lay the groundwork for great design for years to come.
- Contribute to the evolution of Alation's design system, Fabric.
You should have:
- 6-9 years experience working as a product, ux or interaction designer on complex consumer or enterprise applications, preferably workflow or process oriented.
- Educational background in HCI or design is preferred.
- Experience performing research at both the exploration and validation stages of a project. We consider the ability to perform primary research as a core function of the design process.
- Strong communication and listening skills with both internal and external audiences. For many of our customers, you will be the face of the product.
- An ability to articulate what makes an experience valuable, useful or effective – grounded in user empathy and insights.
- Demonstrated experience applying core visual design concepts: e.g. composition, balance, symmetry, and white space.
- Ability to incorporate and respond to feedback with an editorial sense. You seek inputs to your work and make connections across teams, projects and functions.
- Growth mindset and an ability to work within a rapidly changing environment.
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!
Back to top