Engineering Manager, Capture
- Redwood City, CA
Alation continues to hire for roles at various locations with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19 crisis. Everyone new to the Alation team, along with our current workforce, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
Alation pioneered the data catalog market and today is leading its evolution into a platform for a broad range of data intelligence solutions including data search & discovery, data governance, and digital transformation. Nearly 200 enterprises drive data culture, improve decision making, and realize business outcomes with Alation. For more information, visit https://www.alation.com/
Come join our vibrant, hard-working, and fast-growing company Alation as a Software Engineer in team Capture.
What does team Capture do?
Team Capture is passionate about creating products that handle both complexity and scalable design and yet provide a delightful experience to end-users. In collaboration with Product, Design, Professional Services, and Support teams, we are building a long-lasting and reliable solution that powers Alation’s industry-leading Data Catalog.
Team Capture explores the broad spectrum of platforms and technologies for HDFS, BI, data lakes and warehouses along with database systems to resolve the complexity of connections, extract metadata, and compute insights about data lineage and usage. We work through the toughest changes and variance between data sources to allow our customers to Find, Understand, and Trust their data.
A successful engineering manager will communicate fearlessly to build trust. We need leaders who take active roles in shaping the future of engineering while embodying our core values.
This means you will:
- Partner with your PMs and technical leads to initiate cross-functional collaboration with development teams throughout Alation to gather feedback and requirements
- Seek diverse perspectives to drive bottom-up innovation and create buy-in from all technical stakeholders inside and outside the team.
- Think holistically in order to ensure the team fully understands its goals and objectives
- Develop, manage and set the operational vision for Alation’s connectors and capture strategies for data sources
- Manage all aspects of feature delivery for capture team along with ensuring sprint and estimate planning is done per Agile workflow
- Lead technical design and architectural improvements for Capture team along with collaborating with our product design team to provide the highest quality user experience
- Own new initiatives to improve supportability and maintainability of Data Source connectivity
- Collaborate with product owners in scoping and priority decisions to integrate feedback into designs and priorities
- You have a BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- You have 3+ years of experience managing a team of 5+ engineers with responsibility for systems in production as a tech lead or a manager
- Strong Git skills while working with an Agile team
- Provide technical mentorship and training to engineers building distributed systems
- Passionate about writing clean and well-tested code, participate in code reviews and always think about how to make products easy to support and maintain
- Previously participated and owned all aspects of the software development process and believe in best engineering practices
- You have passion for elegance and simplicity
- You take pride in designing solutions that will outlive the problem
You'll be great if you:
- Have experience integrating systems with high throughput and have scaled systems in an Agile development environment
- Have experience as a tech lead architecting, developing, and shipping software products and/or services with a distributed backend
- Have experience managing multi-site teams and times zones is very desirable
- Have experience in microservices architecture, workflow frameworks, HDFS, messaging frameworks and rules engines is a big plus
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
For information about company benefits, please visit www.ibenefitsapp.com/alation-2021. Password is Alation21
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!
Back to top