Alation continues to hire for roles at various locations with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19 crisis.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data, so they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer, PepsiCo, and Munich Re empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions and products (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer, or a wind farm offering a guaranteed ROI with Munich Re). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $217M in funding - valued at $1.2 billion and 350+ customers with household names, Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the third time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating (4.9 out of 5!) reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth and recognizes your unique value?
Engineering at Alation
Imagine working in an engineering culture where every team member has a meaningful impact on product features, helping balance between features and technical debt, and impacting customers in a profound way. Alation is seeking a Director of Engineering to be part of the Engineering organization at Alation and who will play a critical role in the success of Alation on a massive scale. We’re a small team where you’ll have an immediate impact.
Connector teams are the core of the Alation platform and own data pipelines that integrate, extract, and ingest metadata. We are reimagining how we deliver connectivity on the Alation platform through new frameworks, re-designed modular pipelines, and partnership to accelerate time to market at scale. This role can be hired in Chennai, Bangalore or Hyderabad locations.
As a leader of the team, here is what you’ll be doing:
- Drive the short- and long-term direction for our Connector teams
- Collaborate on roadmaps and requirements with Product Managers and members of the Engineering team to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities
- You distill complex and ambiguous situations into aligned priorities with actionable plans for your team. Focus on the customer and business outcomes
- Work with members of the team to update our engineering roadmap and execute upon those initiatives
- Ensure Alation's product vision is realized through excellence in execution
- Guide teams through tech choices in order to deliver resilient, highly-available services
- Build plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges for teams
- Hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Help team members grow through career development, coaching, and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. You'll provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans, defining goals, perform evaluations, and collaborate with employees on their objectives. Most of all, ensure the team is having fun with their work
We want to talk to you if...
- You have a minimum of 3 years as Director level, managing a team of 15 or more
- You have in-depth experience in building, working, and scaling enterprise products
- You have experience in the Data, Data related, and/or Data Workflow Space
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence
- You have the know-how to build an engineering organization that delivers. You focus on quality through metrics-based defect tracking and pride in the delivery
- You have extensive experience with distributed design and API-first development
- You have experience building complex technical products
- You set high standards and have demonstrated the ability to build and lead a high-performance team
- You are able to think about the big picture while also not minding being hands-on if needed
- You also enjoy building relationships with others in a highly visible, cross-functional, and cross-team role
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!