Senior Android Engineer
In a world of constant connection, why are we still lonely?
Social Media should seek to replicate how we interact with each other in real life. That’s why we’re pioneering a new kind of social platform, one designed for true togetherness. Airtime is charting the course for the next era of the Internet: live, shared experiences.
At its core, Airtime is a social platform to gather with your people and explore the Internet together. Gather on group video and hang out with music, videos, photos, TV, movies, and more. It's a portal in your pocket—to your people, to the weird and wonderful world of online.
Our company was founded by Sean Parker and is backed by Accel, Andreessen Horowitz, Founders Fund, Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, and a host of other incredible partners. We have a world-class team of brainiacs in Palo Alto and Brooklyn who craft the amazing real-time technology Airtime is built on. We're well-funded, running at full sprint, and always looking for extraordinary people who want to help us build a new way to use the Internet—together.
We are a diverse team of engineers that work on everything from scaling media servers around the world to building highly performant and complex UI on iOS and Android. We are pushing the limits on real time interactivity. We are looking for engineers who like to work with exceptional people on challenging problems.
What You’ll Do
The A-Team as we’re called at Airtime have one of the most fun and challenging projects in tech today. For one were a humble team of Android snobs obsessed about all things Android and believe in doing things the Android way (the “Material” way if you will). We take immense pride in delivering an unparalleled high quality video and highly responsive and “live the moment” experience and push the limit of what you can do on a mobile device. While others see fragmentation on Android as a headache, not only do we embrace it, but we truly love delivering a consistent experience across a huge roster of Android versions and phones and a wide range of device and network constraints!
- Build media integrations with a wide variety of sources such as Youtube, Spotify, Giphy just to name a few with more coming. Maybe you think integrating SoundCloud/Twitch/Netflix would be neat? Come on over and build it!
- Developed an Android library based on a fork of the open source WebRTC project for our real-time video stack. There are fewer companies than you can count with your hand that have even attempted to do what we do with WebRTC ;)
- We are so in love with Material design as does our in-house design and constantly prototype and implement really slick animations, transitions and gestures.
- Built a massively multithreaded application that does a zillion things while maintaining responsiveness and keeping things real and real-time.
What We’re Looking For
- Have a strong Java background. It's okay if you have strong opinions on why you may dislike Java or why you think Go/Swift/Kotlin/Your language of choice are better. We love opinions!
- Have a solid understanding of the Android SDK, think in Activities, Fragments and Services and loves adhering to Android best practices.
- Loves profiling, optimizing for performance with the tools at your disposal or even finding the occasional memory leak. Hey we’re not perfect. Help us get closer!
- Believe you can do so much better than Google when it comes to implementing Material Design.
- While not necessary we consider it a big plus if you love the NDK side of things too or have a secret crush on WebRTC.
- Have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field (or foreign equivalent).
Back to top