At Airtable, our mission is to democratize software creation by enabling anyone to build the tools that meet their needs. More than 200,000 companies use Airtable for business-critical use cases, with some of our largest customers using Airtable to run global processes across thousands of employees.
The Storage team’s mission is to build simple, scalable, and reliable storage abstractions that power Airtable’s low-code/no-code application platform. Our primary storage technology is MySQL, with Redis for in-memory caching and DynamoDB for key-value workloads.
Airtable’s engineering team is growing quickly, as is our customer base. We are looking for experienced database and distributed systems engineers who are excited about designing, building, and operating key pieces of infrastructure which support the entire Airtable platform. Potential projects include horizontally and vertically sharding our main MySQL database, simplifying database access and provisioning, online schema changes, write-through caching, upgrading to MySQL 8, and operationalizing DynamoDB.
As a founding member of the Storage team, you will have the opportunity to influence the vision and strategy of a rapidly growing team, and help with hiring and mentoring new team members.
Learn more about our Engineering team and values here.
What you'll do
- Proactively identify and lead significant improvements to Airtable’s storage infrastructure, working across teams and product areas to maximize business and engineering impact.
- Work on systems-level problems in a complex design space where scalability, efficiency, reliability, and security really matter.
- Build clean, reusable, and maintainable abstractions that will be used by Airtable’s engineers for years to come.
- Take full ownership of our storage infrastructure, including responsibility for uptime, performance, maintenance, and observability of our production environment.
- Influence the vision, strategy, and culture of a rapidly growing team. Help hire and mentor new team members.
Who you are
- You have 3+ years of experience working with distributed OLTP databases such as MySQL, Percona Server, MariaDB, Postgres, Vitess, CockroachDB, TiDB, etc.
- You have experience owning production infrastructure at high-growth, high-scale companies.
What we offer
- We have your medical, dental, and vision insurance 100% covered (and your dependents covered at 80%)
- High deductible health plan available with health savings account contribution
- Complimentary One Medical membership for individuals and dependents
- Monthly “Lifestyle Wallet” to use for benefits like personal fitness (e.g., gym memberships, fitness equipment, etc.) to pet care to nutrition coaching, and more.
- Complimentary mental health support via Modern Health
- Family planning support via Carrot (fertility, adoption, and surrogacy)
- Flexible and generous time off and sick time benefits
- 16 weeks of parental leave
- Annual Learning & Development wallet to support your career development
- Emergency backup care for dependents
- Access to financial planning and legal support
- Supplemental reimbursement for Gender Affirmation procedures and services
- Access to pre-tax Transportation & Commuter Benefits
Airtable is working on the next computer revolution: one where anyone – even without technical training – can create customized applications that fit their needs, build more interconnected teams, and take part in a growing community of people who share what they create. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in San Francisco, Airtable powers teams at more than 300,000 organizations around the world. Our most recent funding round valued Airtable at $11.7 billion and raised $735 million in additional capital, and we're just getting started!
Want to Learn More?
Our team faces significant challenges surrounding performance & reliability, read more!